Writing Studio takes to Internet with E-Tutor

The Writing Studio recently inaugurated E-Tutor, a new program that allows students to submit drafts online and receive comments from tutors without having to go to the Writing Studio.

"It's definitely not meant in any way to take the place of face-to-face sessions," said Marc Faris, professor of music and a Writing Studio tutor. "It's really designed for students who, for any reason, don't have the time to come and visit."

Unlike in-person sessions, E-Tutor should not be used for brainstorming ideas, said Pamela Mullins Reaves, also a Writing Studio tutor. Students need to have at least a preliminary draft if they want to use the program.

"When you're sitting down face-to-face and interacting you can see how things are working, but you can't do that in an online session," Faris said. "On the student side they don't get a chance to ask questions if there is anything not clear in the comments."

Faris added that the program has only been in use for a week, but that the idea for E-Tutor goes back to Fall 2006.

"I think we've arrived at a place where we were able to initiate a new program," Writing Studio Director Vicki Russell said. "E-Tutor is something that a lot of writing centers across the world offer, so it seemed time for us at Duke to try a pilot program to see how it might work here."

Russell said E-Tutor may appeal to students who would not normally visit the Writing Studio. Those whose schedules do not allow them to set aside an hour for an on-site appointment also benefit from E-Tutor, Russell said.

"Some people will use the Writing Studio who otherwise don't feel comfortable or [are not] capable of doing so," Reaves said. "Students who are studying abroad or have an internship or work in Beaufort can now submit drafts online."

Online E-Tutoring sessions offer a different form of peer review than in-person appointments. One purpose for E-Tutor is to provide more flexibility to students and to accommodate different learning styles, Russell said. "One of the goals that we have for E-Tutor is that students will think of it as a choice," Russell said. "We hope [that choice] will be informed by students' thinking carefully in terms of what texts they're working on, what stage of the writing process they're in and what their own writing style is."

Russell added that students who prefer written comments may choose E-Tutor. Tutors, however, also provide audio feedback to complement the written remarks.

"I think it's different-it's not the same sort of offering as a face-to-face appointment," Russell said. "But if students choose well, it should be as effective as a face-to-face appointment depending on the stage of the writing process and also what sort of learner they are."

Students who have used E-Tutor so far have responded favorably. Several said the thorough tutor analysis and convenience of online correspondence are what make E-Tutor most attractive.

"The thing I liked most about it was that it was incredibly simple and easy to use," freshman Jason Preissig said. "I didn't have to be present for it to get done, either... so it really helps."

Share and discuss “Writing Studio takes to Internet with E-Tutor” on social media.