Win sparks West bonfire

Instead of using umbrellas to protect themselves from the rain Sunday evening, students used them to shield sparks from the five benches that burned on Main West for the first time in two years.

Despite the wet weather earlier in the day, hundreds of students, administrators, staff and visitors constructed a bonfire to celebrate the women's basketball team's win over the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.

The bench burning marked the first time in Duke history a bonfire has been built after a women's basketball game, Dean of Students Sue Wasiolek said.

"It's the perfect bonfire to have after this game," she said.

Attendees also said a bonfire was a great way to celebrate the end of the team's perfect season.

"It's amazing that seniors won on their night," sophomore Emily Reeves said. "It's the best experience I've had with Duke basketball."

Many upperclassmen, however, said this year's bonfire was "tamer" than the one they remember from two years ago. Students and officials said the weather and the earlier game time may have contributed to the smaller scale.

"At least it's a bonfire-burning stuff is burning stuff," senior Frank Coleman said. "Any win over Carolina deserves a bonfire."

In February 2005 Duke's bonfire permit was revoked, but the permit was reinstated last year with new guidelines imposed.

"We haven't had any problems; everything is going well. If [the students] follow the guidelines, they can have as many bonfires as they'd like," said Edward Reid, an assistant Durham fire marshal who was at the bonfire.

Duke Student Government President Elliott Wolf, a junior, said students need to comply to the procedures set out by the fire marshal.

"It's a stretch to say this is within University fire code," he said. "[But] the women's team accomplished a lot-the least we can do is to tent and have a bonfire."

Duke University Police Department officers and the Duke "A-team," which consists of University staff and administrators, were also at the event to ensure the safety of everyone present.

There were approximately 20 DUPD officers and 30 to 40 Duke A-team members at the event, officials said.

"Student behavior has been excellent. I hope everything continues like this, " DUPD Director Robert Dean said. "The crowd is normally larger, but it's the first women's bonfire."

In addition to benches, copies of The Daily Tar Heel-UNC's student newspaper-and a teddy bear with a UNC symbol were thrown into the blaze.

"It was pretty funny, I think," said seven-year-old Duke fan Alice Goldstein-Plesser. "It's the first [bonfire] I've seen.... I'm amazed at all the sparks."

Lin Lin, Trinity '05, said she came back to watch the game and noted that this was her third bonfire.

"It never ceases to amaze me," Lin said.

Share and discuss “Win sparks West bonfire” on social media.