Provost talks on goals of DukeEngage

The Academic Council discussed issues including DukeEngage, the University's first reaccreditation in the 21st century and intellectual property rights at its meeting Thursday.

The council also elected Paula McClain, professor of political science and director of the Ralph Bunche Institute, to a two-year term as the chair of the Academic Council succeeding Paul Haagen, professor of law.

Provost Peter Lange spoke to the council regarding DukeEngage, a program launched early last week to facilitate intensive service projects. Lange outlined the benefits DukeEngage will provide as well as potential issues that may arise with its implementation.

"Now that we've passed the strategic plan, it's time for us to think of a major initiative that can really put those ideas into effect," Lange said.

Duke Center for Civic Engagement-an "umbrella organization" designed to coordinate civic engagement programs with DukeEngage-will be created, Lange said. He added that Eric Mlyn, the outgoing director of the Robertson Scholars Program, has been appointed its director.

"I think the impact [of DukeEngage] on our campus culture will be extensive over time," Lange said. "We will have many more students who will have done these things and I think those students bring something very different to the classroom."

Lange added, however, that there are "ramp-up" issues still on the table-such as staff buildup, student accountability and financial support.

"We are going to walk before we run with this program," Lange said. "We're not anticipating reaching our target level, which is around 25 percent of our student body, until about 2012."

Council members expressed their support for DukeEngage and the University's commitment to "knowledge in the service of society."

"I think this is just a big idea and can really be transformative," said Lee Baker, chair of the Arts and Sciences Council and professor of cultural anthropology. "I'm really enthusiastic about it."

Following Lange's speech Judith Ruderman, vice provost for academic and administrative services, spoke about the reaccreditation of the University by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools.

An increased emphasis on "student learning outcomes" at the federal and state levels will affect how the University formulates its Quality Enhancement Plan, which details issues in student learning, Ruderman said.

Possible QEP topics include urban planning, the meaning of a "liberal education" and campus community, she said. Council members said the QEP could also focus on service learning and incorporate DukeEngage.

Scholarly Communication Officer Kevin Smith delivered a presentation on the issues regarding intellectual property in an era of increasing digitization and collaborative student work.

"The problem is that there are new forms of scholarship that don't fit the traditional norms and definitions," Smith said.

He added that legal complications involving student ownership of work, professor ownership of lecture content and the use of e-reserves are increasingly common, and that the University needs to address these issues.

Share and discuss “Provost talks on goals of DukeEngage” on social media.