In final home match, Duke falls to UNC-G

On Senior Night in Cameron Indoor Stadium, Duke was plagued by illness and could not capitalize on a fast start, ultimately losing 30-13 to UNC-Greensboro (9-4).

"A virus is going through campus, and it was going through our team," head coach Clar Anderson said. "A couple guys had it, and some of our guys were coming back from it."

Sophomore Addison Nuding started the meet off strong, pinning Spartan Nate Berryman. Despite its early 9-0 lead, Duke (7-9) began to feel the effects of being weakened by illness as the day wore on. Redshirt freshman John Barone, whom Anderson said looked exhausted, lost in a major decision to Joe Lowe.

"We were hoping to win John Barone's match," Anderson said. "That one would have been instrumental."

Duke lost the lead for good at the 197-pound match, when senior Patrick Keenum was pinned by Nick Clark in the last home match of his career.

Keenum was not the only senior to struggle, as Philip Wightman lost in a technical fall to Chris Bencivenga. In the final match of the dual meet, senior Daniel Shvartsman recorded a major decision, 16-8, over Marcus Hannah-the 84th win of Shvartsman's career.

"No one has worked harder than him to get better and be the best he can be," Anderson said.

Anderson also highlighted the play of Keenum and Wightman, despite their losses Saturday.

"[Keenum] has been a workhorse the whole year," Anderson said. "He's gone out there and fought and given us his all.

"Philip Wightman has been an awful lot of fun to coach."

With a loss Saturday-the team's sixth in a row-Duke is focusing on the positives of this season.

"It's a pretty darn young team," Anderson said. "We're hoping they can use this experience and step it up."

Share and discuss “In final home match, Duke falls to UNC-G” on social media.