Film Review: Ghost Rider

Ghost Rider, the latest from director Mark Steven Johnson, is a fiery disaster of epic proportions. Nicolas Cage plays the titular character-a simple motorcycle stuntman who doubles as the devil's collector of souls. If that doesn't make sense, just wait until you discover that the Rider enjoys watching nature programs about howler monkeys. Here's the best scene:

Cage, straight from a shower and a post-shower body-oiling, stops to admire his reflection in the mirror. Moving close to the mirror, Cage points to his eye and checks his eyelid. Then he opens his mouth and clicks his teeth together three or four times, like a 90-year-old removing dentures. What happens next? If you guessed Cage would pull his nose up like a pig and make more teeth-clicking sounds, you're correct! Your prize? Cage then huffs twice like a horse, turns away from the mirror, then turns back and utters, and I quote, "Boogawooga-wooga." At this point Johnson cuts away.

Other fantastic moments include, but are not limited to: an animated iguana spontaneously bursting into flames, some of the most pathetic bad guys ever seen on film, and Cage uttering such immortal lines as, "I am speaking to the fire element within me. Give me control over the possessing spirit."

In the words of the Rider within all of us.

I'm Ghost Rider, and Mark Steven Johnson... you, guilty!

Share and discuss “Film Review: Ghost Rider” on social media.