Community Standard to receive vote

Undergraduates will have the opportunity to vote on proposed changes to the Duke Community Standard during Duke Student Government elections this spring.

The main change, which consists of an additional statement that asserts that students should take action if the standard is compromised, is designed to broaden the standard beyond the academic arena.

"The beauty of this is that it extends the obligation to act to when you see the values of the standard itself compromised-and that could apply to any realm," said Judith Ruderman, vice provost for academic and administrative services.

The decision to have a referendum was approved following a presentation during Wednesday night's DSG meeting.

DSG President Elliott Wolf, a junior, said it is important that students understand DSG is approving giving all students the opportunity to vote on the change, rather than unilaterally approving the proposal.

"I'm hesitant to change it because it's only been around for three years, and I'm also concerned some of the wording implies an endorsement of the Community Standard means an endorsement of all undergraduate policy," Wolf said. "But I think it's up to the students to decide, and I'm satisfied putting it to a referendum to see what they think."

Ruderman, senior Jimmy Soni, DSG vice president of academic affairs, and Noah Pickus, interim director of the Kenan Institute for Ethics, said the changes had been in the works since this past summer.

"The conversations kind of grew out of the events of last spring," Soni said.

He added that the Honor Council and the Undergraduate Judicial Board also support allowing the entire student body to vote on the proposed changes.

"It would be unwise to have a committee produce a set of standards and say 'this is how it's going to be,'" Soni said.

He added that although the standard has been updated numerous times, the latest in 2003, evolutions are necessary.

"A code is a living, breathing document and has to reflect the community wishes," Soni said.

Several senators said they felt the wording of the proposed standard did not include all the necessary principles Duke students should be expected to uphold.

"There are a lot of principles you could put in," Pickus said. "[But this is] not some heavy-handed moral police trying to catch Elliott or me with a beer."

In other business:

The nearly two-hour meeting also included presentations by Wolf on the successful implementation of a light at the intersection of Broad and Perry streets and by Fore about his Duke Story Project.

DSG Community Liaison Daniel Bowes, a senior, spoke about Duke Excellence Team-an initiative to show employee appreciation.

Students may nominate any non-faculty employee, seven of whom will be selected and rewarded for their efforts.

Seven new senators were also sworn into office at the end of the meeting.

They are juniors Shawn Kwatra, Jerry Liu and Kristin Pfeiffer, sophomores Mai Li and Meredith Metcalf, and freshmen Spencer Eldred, Rachael Moss and Matt Slayton.

The Senate unanimously approved allocating $3,500 from the DSG surplus fund to the newly created alcohol subsidy fund, providing kegs to certain on-campus events.

Share and discuss “Community Standard to receive vote” on social media.