Dvd review: yojimbo/sanjuro

The re-release of Akiru Kurosawa's Sanjuro films, Yojimbo and Sanjuro, reflects not only the impact both films have had on filmmakers since the samurai classics were released, but also Criterion's ongoing desire to preserve films of decades past in pristine, beautiful packages. Previous releases of both of these films were inadequate, blocky and poor transfers. These latest restored prints are immaculate, the black and white photography reflecting pure contrast.

The films themselves, arguably some of Kurosawa's finest lighthearted work, also reflect some of the same concepts as this year's best picture nominee, Babel. Yojimbo -whose climactic encounter finds a samurai facing a man armed with a special new weapon, the gun-especially relates to the contemporary film. Although Yojimbo's sequel is not as seminal a film (rather, more a response to the first film's success than a neccessary follow-up), its inclusion will prove a gift to film lovers everywhere.

Additional features include essays from critics and making of documentaries-a feature now common to DVD packages, but rare for older flicks. It's especially interesting to watch Kurosawa work behind the scenes, as it's a treasure to see a legend at work.

Share and discuss “Dvd review: yojimbo/sanjuro” on social media.