Duke grad student found dead

A fourth-year Duke medical student passed away Dec. 6 in Raleigh. The cause of his death is still unclear.

Rajesh Das, 26, was simultaneously pursuing a degree at the School of Medicine and a master's degree in biomedical engineering in the Pratt School of Engineering.

"He's always achieved a lot academically, but most of his friends at Duke are going to remember him for his ability to connect with people," said Ajay Kamireddi, a fellow student in the medical school. "He had a lot of unbridled spirit and compassion. It's a big loss for everyone."

Das was originally from Saratoga, Calif., and graduated from Columbia University in 2002.

He had planned a career in plastic surgery specializing in children's facial deformities after graduating from Duke in 2008, said Dr. Robert Drucker, Das' advisory dean and an associate dean in the medical school Student Affairs Office.

Das was discovered dead in the back of a friend's car at 9 a.m. Wednesday morning.

He had gone out with friends Tuesday night in Raleigh and fell asleep in the back seat. His friends decided to leave him there for the night, Kamireddi said.

When one of the friends was driving Das back to Durham, he realized Das was unresponsive and immediately called the police, Kamireddi said.

"The police have said there was no evidence or report of foul play. No evidence of homicide or suicide," Kamireddi said.

It was cold Tuesday night and Das spent five hours in the car, Kamireddi noted.

Raleigh police do not expect charges to be pressed and are still waiting for autopsy results to determine the cause of death, the Raleigh News and Observer reported.

"He was a really nice guy, friendly. He was the life of the party," said Nitu Mathew, a graduate student in biomedical engineering.

Friends described Das as an outgoing person who touched many people while at the University.

"He was upbeat and enthusiastic about everything he did, and I never saw him without a smile on his face," Drucker said.

"He was sort of the social kingpin of med school," Kamireddi said. "One of those guys who was really interested in the story behind people."

Thursday, friends and family gathered for a funeral in Durham and the Pratt School of Engineering held an informal gathering in his honor.

Share and discuss “Duke grad student found dead” on social media.