Scotland builds bridges to N.C.

EDINBURGH, Scotland - Scotland claims to be the best small country in the world.

After all, it is the birthplace of golf and scotch, as well as great thinkers like Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Adam Smith and, of course, Sean Connery.

This year, 14 Duke students are studying abroad in the rainy country north of England, which usually connotes images of kilts and bagpipes. Still, every year only a handful of Dukies and college-aged students opt to venture to the land of Braveheart fame.

Officials said they hope this will all change, however, with Scotland's new strategy for stronger engagement with the United States, a seven-part initiative that will focus on seven U.S. states, including North Carolina-the state with the largest proportional percentage of people of Scottish decent.

"It's the best way for us to sell Scotland-to have people live there and study there and to have them see modern Scotland," said Michael Kellet, first secretary of Scottish Affairs at the British Embassy in Washington, D.C.

In the 2004-2005 academic year, 2,750 U.S. students studied at Scottish universities and colleges.

Duke's study abroad program at the University of Glasgow, offered through the Public Policy Department, was initiated in 1982. Of the 475 Duke students studying abroad this semester, 64 are studying in universities within the United Kingdom, including 14 students in the University of Glasgow and St. Andrews University.

Junior Sarah Wohl, one of the 11 Duke students studying abroad at the University of Glasgow this semester, said she has noticed the intensity of the Scottish pride and the Scots' eagerness to talk about politics and life in America.

"Lots of people here have heard of North Carolina because they have been there or know people there," she wrote in an e-mail. "I would definitely consider working here after school. I think it would be amazing."

The formation of the Scottish Parliament six years ago gave more governing power and independence from the United Kingdom to the Scots. This renewed sense of independence inspired Scotland to pursue the initiative to put the country and its potential on the international map.

The strategic objectives include raising Scotland's profile in the United States and recruiting students to live and work in Scotland.

The seven states focused in the strategy, which also include California and New York, were chosen because of existing cultural and historical links, Kellet said. Progress toward these objectives will be reviewed in 2010 to determine future plans for the country.

The Friends of Scotland Caucus, co-founded by North Carolina Rep. Mike McIntyre, D-Dist. 7 and Tennessee Rep. John Duncan, R-Dist. 2, was formally inaugurated in May to better promote Scottish interests in Washington, D.C.

"I hope that the Caucus will grow to provide a powerful focus for promoting Scotland and Scottish interests at the highest political level in the [United States]," First Minister of Scotland Jack McConnell said in a press release.

Despite the established prestige of its universities, other students are not as enthusiastic about temporarily relocating to Scotland.

"When you think of studying in Europe or even in the United Kingdom, there are more attractive cities with a better night-life, for one," said junior Chris Shaw, a North Carolina native of Scottish decent. "I would consider it, but I feel Scotland isn't that attractive to young people like students."

Shaw, who visited the country four years ago, added that it would be difficult for people to see past the traditional images of Scotland.

"Even in a big city such as Edinburgh, you see dudes walking around in kilts and there are cobblestone streets, and half the stores are tourist attractions hyping up this identity," he said.

The new push to place Scotland on the map for the next generation, however, does not mean abandoning its rich history and culture, Kellet said.

"One of the things people tend to have is a traditional look at Scotland," he said. "We want to show that there are so much else we have to offer. If we can do that, between now and 2010 or at least help move that image forward, that would be a success for us."

Share and discuss “Scotland builds bridges to N.C.” on social media.