Library adjusts to new coding system

Computers, catalog numbers and chemistry resources are on the move in the University's libraries.

Officials recently announced that the Perkins Library computer lab will close Dec. 20, and staff are continuing the gradual conversion to the Library of Congress catalog system.

Other recent changes include the August reopening of the first floor of Perkins and the incorporation of the chemistry library into Perkins, also in August.

All of the developments are steps toward achieving the library's vision of improving its services to users, explained Deborah Jakubs, University librarian and vice provost for library affairs. She added that the new spaces have greatly increased library visits and circulation.

"We're still talking about a 40 percent increase," Jakubs said of the rise in circulation.

Other measures also reflect the popularity of new and renovated areas in Bostock Library and Perkins.

Monthly visits to the reference desk jumped up by 139 percent in 2005-2006, Thomas Wall, associate university librarian, wrote in an e-mail. In September and October of this year, reference librarians averaged 321 sessions per month-a 34 percent increase over last year's average.

"There will be frustrations," Jakubs said. "I'm grateful that I haven't heard [complaints] from people. That, to me, says that they understand we're going through some necessary changes."

The space currently housing the Perkins lab and the Deryl Hart Reading Room, for instance, will eventually provide a new center for the library's Special Collections Library. Jakubs said the area will be home to temporary offices for library administrators during the next phase of renovations.

Closure of the Perkins lab has been under discussion for about a year, said Kevin Davis, senior manager of the Office of Information Technology's Academic Technology Services. He added that OIT is monitoring computer usage in order to ensure the computers added to Perkins and Bostock libraries are sufficient for students' technology needs.

"There's certainly plenty of capacity available," Davis said.

He pointed out that recently added ePrint kiosks at other locations on campus can absorb some of the "in-and-out traffic" that the Perkins lab has historically served.

"Those computers [from Perkins] can go to become new kiosks, new ePrint stations," he explained.

Some students said the change would not affect them, many noting their appreciation for the renovated library's atmosphere. Others, however, said the lab's upcoming closure is frustrating.

"I think the library's beautiful. I enjoy working there," said senior Carla Ranno. "But this is very easy before class," she added, referring to the Perkins lab's convenience.

Books, as well as computers, are also changing their locations. Moving the chemistry library from the Gross Chemistry Building to Perkins involved putting many science journals into storage.

To maintain scholars' access to the research material, University administrators provided additional funding for the library to purchase more electronic back-files, Jakubs said. The first batch cost $3.5 million in upfront expenses, in addition to annual subscription fees.

Still, Jakubs noted the continuing importance and relative security of print.

"We're not by any means headed toward an electronic-only library," she said.

Staff members are also devoting their time to the library's physical collection, switching more books from the Dewey Decimal to the Library of Congress system on a daily basis.

Jakubs said the change, which should be complete by late 2008, will facilitate some faculty members' research and bring Duke into line with practices at other research libraries. "The shelving is easier, and things are misplaced less," Jakubs said of the LC system. "Many people are shocked... when they discover that a library of this size is on Dewey."

Anyone having trouble finding a book should ask a librarian for help, Jakubs said. She encouraged library users to tell her or other library administrators about problems. "With a renovation of this complexity, the easiest thing would have been for us to have closed the library," Jakubs said. "We've chosen a different path."

Davis also welcomed feedback, suggesting that students e-mail perkinslabquestions@duke.edu with any comments.

Share and discuss “Library adjusts to new coding system” on social media.