Hokies hope for better fortune

Despite a 4-12 record in the ACC a season ago, Virginia Tech's most glaring troubles had nothing to do with basketball.

Personal tragedies overshadowed the fact that the Hokies lost their 16 games by an average of only 5.5 points per contest. A 10th-place finish in the ACC was the least of Virginia Tech's concerns.

Forward Allen Calloway was diagnosed with cancer prior to the start of the season and starting center Coleman Collins lost his father to the disease during the ACC portion of the team's schedule. Collins left the team three times during the season to spend time with his ailing father. Basketball reasons aside, his absence not only affected himself, but the entire Hokie team.

"When Coleman was going through his situation, it was just like we were going through it with him," guard Zabian Dowdell said. "We supported him as much as we could, and we were there for him. It just made us that much closer-it created a bond."

Nonetheless, head coach Seth Greenberg does not think the tragedies will be a main reason for any improvement his team may make this season.

"I don't think going through personal tragedy helps anyone," Greenberg said. "Does it make us tougher? Does it make us stronger? I'm not a big believer in all that. It's just sad."

If the Hokies do improve in 2006-07, it will be because they return the most experienced team in the ACC. All five starters come back, including Collins and guards Dowdell and Jamon Gordon, who form arguably the conference's best backcourt.

"Those two guys are good," Greenberg said. "They play off each other well and they have a boatload of experience.... They're not going to back down to anyone."

Dowdell led the team in scoring as a junior a year ago and was an honorable mention to the All-ACC team for the second year in a row. Gordon led the Hokies in assists and rebounding during ACC play, despite being only 6-foot-3.

Aside from having to deal with tragedies off the court last season, the Hokies dealt with plenty of drama on the court.

Nine of the team's 12 conference losses were by six points or fewer-a complete reversal of 2004-05 when Virginia Tech won a number of close ACC games.

"I remember telling Jamon that one day our luck is going to catch up with us because our sophomore year everything went our way at the end of games, and last year it was the opposite," Dowdell said.

Whether it was having to deal with personal tragedy, close losses or a finish in the bottom portion of the ACC, nothing seemed to go the Hokies' way last season. After all the team went through a year ago, Dowdell sees no reason to suggest that this year's experienced squad will not be ready to play.

"The sky is the limit for this team," he said. "If we play hard, together, and if we do the things we're capable of doing, we shouldn't have to face those late-game situations."

Share and discuss “Hokies hope for better fortune” on social media.