Duke to allot $100K more for food carts

After months of waiting and legal wrangling, University officials have begun a second effort to bring premium dining carts to the West Campus Plaza.

As part of an effort to offer a more diverse selection of dining options to students, three food carts-worth $100,000 total-were originally slated to begin operation in August. But continued delays and conflict between the University and the original manufacturer hired has left the plaza cart-less almost three months into the semester.

"I decided to pass on having Chuck [Courter, one of the original contractors hired,] complete the carts," said Jim Wulforst, director of dining services. "After Christmas break, the carts should be delivered."

The carts that were originally ordered are partially finished but will be abandoned, he added.

The new order for three or four carts will also come with a $100,000 price tag.

"We're spending twice as much as we planned," Wulforst said. "It means I'm not going to be spending $100,000 on something else this year. At this point, it's just a matter of still trying to maintain our budget and absorb this."

Jim Wilkerson, director of Duke Stores, is overseeing efforts to hire a new manufacturer and said he has narrowed the search to a Utah-based company, which will produce carts nearly identical to the ones originally ordered.

"I'm just trying to find a reputable company and will develop a detailed contract with them to ensure we get what we want, how we want, when we want it," he said. He is currently researching the company's background and references, Wilkerson added.

"If all goes according to plan, I would expect to have them no later than Feb. 15 on campus," Wilkerson said.

Originally, the dining carts were to be operated by The Halcyon Group-a student-run business that aims to give a portion of its profits to charity-and sell sandwiches, salads and hot beverages.

Until mid-October, Halcyon had been operating a stand that offered pretzels, candy and smoothies.

"The way circumstances had dictated we had diverged from our original mission in terms of both food service and the charity," said Halcyon partner Hasnain Zaidi, a junior, adding that the group is currently re-evaluating its goals.

The temporary stand limited what they could serve and the profit margin was not large enough to make a significant charitable impact, he said.

Wulforst said he was concerned when Halcyon "abandoned us right in the middle of the week."

Halcyon would like to run the new carts when they arrive, Zaidi said, adding that the decision is ultimately Wulforst's.

"We still have that same offer-being a student-run business... with a social mission," Zaidi said. "We're very much prepared to go back in."

Rob Copeland contributed to this article.

Share and discuss “Duke to allot $100K more for food carts” on social media.