Soccer seeds announced

The ACC announced the seedings for its men's and women's soccer tournaments Monday.

With the No. 1 seed, Duke's men's squad (12-3-1, 5-2-1 in the ACC) earned a first-round bye and will play the winner of Tuesday's game between eight-seed Virginia Tech and nine-seed N.C. State Nov. 1 at 2:30 p.m. in Germantown, Md.

The Blue Devils, who were ACC regular-season co-champions, enter the postseason as the fifth-ranked team nationally.

Duke's women received the No. 7 seed and will face second-seeded Florida State Nov. 1 at 5:30 p.m. at SAS Soccer Park in Cary.

Also released Monday were the men's soccer regular-season honors. The Blue Devils, along with Virginia, led all programs with four honorees. Forward Mike Grella and midfielder Michael Videira were named to the All-ACC first team, forward Spencer Wadsworth to the second team and midfielder Joshua Bienefeld to the All-freshman squad.

Men's golf wins match

The men's golf team upset No. 6 Clemson Monday in the Consolation B bracket of the Callaway Collegiate Match Play Championship in Fort Worth, Texas.

The No. 20 Blue Devils went 3-1-1 against the Tigers, with Clark Klaasen, Jeff Edelman and Jake Grodzinsky winning their matches by a combined six strokes.

Grodzinsky, who sat out round two Sunday, came out strong by winning his first two holes and finished even stronger by taking three of the final four to close out his match at 3-and-1.

Michael Quagliano never trailed in his match against the Tigers' Sam Saunders, the grandson of golf great Arnold Palmer, but he bogeyed and parred his last two holes to halve the match.

Monday's win over Clemson was the first time this season that Duke outplayed the Tigers. The Blue Devils finished 28 strokes behind Clemson Sept. 17 in the Carpet Capitol Challenge and 11 strokes behind them in the Isleworth-UCF Collegiate Invitational Oct. 24.

Duke faces second-seeded Georgia in the Consolation B Championship Tuesday.

Share and discuss “Soccer seeds announced” on social media.