Officials work to solve food-delivery issues

Some food on points is no longer just a phone call away for students.

As of the beginning of the semester, the student-run delivery service Gourmet Dining and Bakery, LLC has been suspended due to security concerns, confirmed Kemel Dawkins, vice president for campus services.

GDB launched a pilot program April 2005 that allowed students to order food on points through an online website from some vendors in the Merchants on Points program.

Garrett Bean, president of GDB and Trinity '06, noted that MOP food sales increased by approximately half-a-million dollars the first year the program was launched.

Despite widespread popularity from students, the University has expressed concerns with the service.

"In order to use the software, it has to interact with the University financial system and that is problematic," Dawkins said.

He explained that the interaction may allow access to confidential student information and use of the software and its online connections to launch attacks that disrupt other services at Duke.

Dawkins also noted that the software is not owned by Duke and not operated or protected under the Office of Information Technology.

Bean told The Chronicle that they never received a reported security issue in the two years the program was running and the system was continuously reviewed by the DukeCard Office.

He said students had to provide both their DukeCard number and PIN number to order food online.

"It's just like a debit card," Bean said, adding that no student information is stored.

An initial review conducted by OIT and the DukeCard Office is complete, Dawkins said, adding that they are now taking a further look into additional information provided by GDB.

Bean said that GDB invited the administration to contact their web developer and have a closer look at the system.

"We want to see if we can keep working with Duke to try and get this resolved," he said.

GDB was started to make MOP faster, more secure and more convenient for students, Bean explained. He added that they were looking to expand the program to other interested vendors during the summer prior to the company's suspension.

Because Duke Dining Services does not offer delivery services to vendors, many who worked with GDB can no longer deliver to campus.

"We're unable to deliver to students and it's horrible," said Jason Balius, owner of Mad Hatter's Cafe, adding that his experience with GDB was very successful.

Balius said that since GDB has been suspended, they are making approximately $800 less on Friday nights and $400-$500 less on weekday nights due to the loss of deliveries.

Dale's Indian Cuisine, although capable of delivering to students, is currently unable to sell food on points without the GDB program, said Assistant Manager Preeti Singh.

"Students are calling everyday because they want delivery," Singh said, adding that they are still waiting to hear back from the DukeCard office.

Dale's has experienced approximately a 60-percent decrease in their sales since GDB has been suspended, she added.

Papa John's Pizza, although still delivering to students, has also experienced a negative effect. "It's terrible-a lot of students knew us from GDB, and now they just don't call our store anymore because they don't know our number," said General Manager Kevin Thompson.

Jim Wulforst, director of dining services, said he hopes to bring back the GDB program because it serves a useful purpose for students.

Wulforst added that Dining Services is currently offering vendors the conventional MOP program and is working to assist those who have been negatively affected by the suspension.

Share and discuss “Officials work to solve food-delivery issues” on social media.