Film review: Catch a Fire

At first glance, Catch a Fire seems to fit the scheme of most thought-provoking, borderline indie Focus Features projects.

But the film, which takes on the South African apartheid era, doesn't quite reach the level of its politically minded predecessors, The Constant Gardener or Hotel Rwanda.

Still, Fire aims to stand alone as a provocative historical piece that follows the poignant real-life story of Patrick Chamusso (Derek Luke), a citizen-turned-freedom fighter. But what makes the film really effective is real footage of the fighters interspersed throughout the film. In fact, the last scene is a snippet of Luke and the real-life Chamusso kicking around a soccer ball in a Schindler's List-type finale.

The always empathetic visage of Tim Robbins lends to a more human portrayal of Nic Vos-a shrewd member of the South African police and the film's go-to bad guy. Although Luke and Robbins do their best to depict the complexity of the characters, they fail to carve a lasting presence on the screen.

Although Director Phillip Noyce (The Quiet American, Rabbit-Proof Fence) keeps the oppressed civilian turned freedom fighter story fresh with an undertone of realism and historical relevance, it does not impress in the frankness of Noyce's previous works. Fire's attempt to bridge the gap between political statement and blockbuster thriller puts the film on shaky territory. Unable to balance the real with the dramatic, the film fails to live up to the standards of its Focus brethren.

Share and discuss “Film review: Catch a Fire” on social media.