SPORTS  |  SOCCER

Blue Devils cruise to easy victory

Duke continued its unbeaten October with an easy 5-0 defeat of North Florida Tuesday night at a chilly Koskinen Stadium. The victory was the sixth straight for the No. 5 Blue Devils (13-2-1), making this the team's longest winning streak of the season.

"I think it's exactly what we needed," head coach John Rennie said of the win, which came just days after Duke beat rival North Carolina, 1-0. "We worked very hard and put the game away early, and were able to rest a number of players."

The Blue Devils took time to settle in against the defensive-minded Ospreys (4-11-2) but finally broke through when junior Tomek Charowski scored off a pass from forward Spencer Wadsworth in the 20th minute.

"It was a beautiful goal," said Charowski. "[Chris] Loftus put in a really nice ball, both me and Spencer made the run, and I was thankful that Spencer played the ball across to me."

Just 10 minutes later, Mike Grella scored Duke's second goal of the day after another quick pass from Wadsworth. Grella received the pass 20 yards from the goal, beat a defender and chipped the ball over the charging UNF goalkeeper.

Duke's defense held the Ospreys to just two shots in the first half, while the Blue Devil offense notched 15. The second half proved to be more of the same, as the back line kept UNF from testing goalkeeper Brendan Fitzgerald.

"I think the most trouble we had was just getting ready to play and getting in our rhythm," Charowski said. "I don't think they really posed any threat to us."

Duke has now allowed one goal or fewer in its last 10 games, dating back to a 4-3 victory against Wake Forest on Sept. 8th.

"I think it's our familiarity," sophomore Darrius Barnes said of the reason for the defense's recent success. "We've had pretty much the same defense since the middle of last season, so we just know what each other do at this point."

The second half of Tuesday's game, much like last week's contest against Alabama A&M, gave many role players a chance to get some playing time.

Freshman Joshua Bienenfeld scored the first goal of his collegiate career in the 58th minute, and junior Paul Dudley added a headed goal off a long pass from Barnes.

Freshman Jordan Lewis capped the scoring in his very first appearance for the Blue Devils. Senior reserve goalkeeper Scott Siegel also saw his first action of the season, playing the last few minutes in goal in his final home game.

"Opposite ends of the spectrum," said Rennie, comparing Siegel and Lewis's achievements. "On the one hand, you got a senior playing in his last home game, and on the other, a freshman playing in his first."

Lewis' goal came with just eight minutes left in the game, and was assisted by Brad Ramsey and Chase Perfect.

"It was real nice for Jordan to get a goal on like his second touch ever," Charowski said.

Duke next takes on ACC rival Clemson on the road Oct. 27 in its final regular-season game. The ACC Championship kicks off in Gaithersburg, Md. Oct. 31.

Share and discuss “Blue Devils cruise to easy victory” on social media.