Baseball responds to tragedy

The tragic death of New York Yankee Cory Lidle Wednesday shocked and saddened the entire baseball community.

Lidle, 34, spent time with the Durham Bulls in the minor leagues and played for seven different franchises in his nine-year major league career.

"This is a terrible loss for baseball and a sad day for the Durham Bulls and their fans," Bulls General Manager Mike Birling said, "Cory played for two division winning teams in 1999 and 2000. He represented the Bulls with class, always volunteering to do things in the community. Our sympathies go out to his wife, Melanie and son, Christopher."

Lidle was traded to the Yankees midway through this season, finishing the year with a 12-10 regular-season record and a 4.85 ERA. He pitched 1 1/3 innings in the Yankees' season-ending loss to the Detroit Tigers Saturday.

"Spending the last few months as Cory's teammate, I came to know him as a great man," Yankee teammate Derek Jeter said. "While he was known as a baseball player, he was, more importantly, a husband and father and, at a time like this, I want to share my deepest sympathies with his wife Melanie, his son Christopher and all those who know and loved him."

During last night's American League Championship Game in Oakland, the Athletics hung Lidle's jersey in their dugout. He had played for Oakland in 2001 and 2002. Fans also showed an outpouring of support for Lidle's family, memorializing his life with signs visible throughout the stands.

"Cory's death is a terrible shock to all of us," said Billy Beane, the A's vice president and general manager.

Lidle was the first major league baseball player to be killed in a plane crash since tragedy struck the Yankees organization with the passing of catcher Thurman Munson Aug. 2, 1979.

Share and discuss “Baseball responds to tragedy” on social media.