Tuesday morning quarterback

Quarterback controversy heats up

In Saturday's loss to Richmond, starting sophomore Marcus Jones and true freshman Thaddeus Lewis split playing time at quarterback

Head coach Ted Roof said no decision has been made about who will start this weekend at Wake Forest.

"We're going to work them both in practice and see how that unfolds and make a decision closer to game time," Roof said.

Lewis, who passed for 148 yards and a 114.3 quarterback rating, received high praise from his coach following his performance.

"I thought he played with a lot of poise, and I thought he delivered the football," Roof said. "I was pleased with a lot of the things he did."

Click for related content:

Key players go down

Starting halfback Justin Boyle and "Devil" back Ronnie Drummer both went down in the first 16 plays of the Richmond game. Considered two of the offense's most potent threats, the Blue Devils ran for only 51 yards on 30 carries with the duo out.

"You hate to see guys get hurt," offensive guard Zach Maurides said. "I have complete confidence in all of our backups, and I expect them to step up in any situation."

Backup running back Re'quan Boyette will carry the brunt of this responsibility. In Saturday's game, he ran for 20 yards on eight attempts.

"He's proven that he can be a good back in this league," Roof said. "We have Clifford Harris and Aaron Fryer, so if Ronnie and Justin aren't able to play, those guys will have opportunities and hopefully they'll take advantage of them."

Roof said that both Boyle and Drummer are doubtful for Wake Forest's game with leg injuries.

Defense gears up

The Blue Devils held the Richmond offense in check for the most part, limiting it to just 225 yards. Wake Forest, who has established itself as a run-early, run-often team, racked up 245 yards on the ground alone this past weekend against Syracuse.

"They'll run it, run it and run it, until the cows come home I'm sure," Roof said. "Unless we stop them."

Share and discuss “Tuesday morning quarterback” on social media.