Student injured in Erwin Road accident

An SUV flipped onto the hood of an Audi sedan at about 1:05 p.m. Friday at the intersection of Towerview Road and Erwin Road after being hit by a car that ran a red light, Duke University Police Department officials reported.

Senior Erin Glunt, the SUV's driver, was taken to Duke University Medical Center as a precaution but did not sustain life-threatening injuries.

"I came out pretty much unscathed," she said, noting that she was released from the hospital at about 10 p.m. Friday. "I'm glad nobody else went to the hospital."

Glunt said she is not planning on pressing charges.

The accident began when Gabrielle Vires, a 21-year-old student in the Duke Continuing Studies paralegal certificate program, ran a red light while traveling west on Erwin Road.

"The light was green, I was on Erwin, and then it was red," Vires said, adding that her 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt is brand-new.

"I broke but then I skidded through the intersection," she said.

Vires' car collided with the rear of the Glunt's SUV, which was traveling north on Towerview Road, said Lt. Sarah-Jane Raines, DUPD administrative services executive officer. "The [victim's] car was hit after it was most of the way through the intersection," Raines said.

The force of the impact lifted the SUV into the air, she said. It landed on the hood of an Audi sedan waiting in the left-turn lane on southbound Towerview Road.

The SUV slid off the Audi and landed upside-down, Raines added.

"A couple of EMTs pulled me out," Glunt said. "I haven't actually seen [my car] but everybody that I've talked to has said it's totaled."

The Audi's three occupants-including Dr. Shein-Chung Chow and Sin-ho Jung, professors in DUMC-were unharmed.

Raines said an investigation is underway.

Saidi Chen and Iza Wojciechowska contributed to this article.

Share and discuss “Student injured in Erwin Road accident” on social media.