Panel stresses need for creativity

President Richard Brodhead and seven panelists spoke to an audience of about 50 professors and students Monday night for an armchair discussion called "Creativity and the Contemporary University."

The talk, sponsored by Phi Beta Kappa, examined the interdisciplinary nature of creativity: where to find it, how to nurture it and whether it is flourishing or imperiled in today's educational institutions.

Some of the world's most creative thinkers, such as Wilbur and Orville Wright, Leonardo da Vinci and Pablo Picasso did not attend college, Brodhead said.

"It's so easy to think that the university and creativity should always go together, but I don't think that's what history shows," he said.

Brodhead said universities do not engender creativity unless students take advantage of the resources provided.

One way Duke encourages students to be "diligent do-ers" is through the University's service learning program, which combines academics and community service.

"You can find creativity anywhere," said Robert Powell, John Spencer Bassett professor of art and art history. "I would say whether it's the Neolithic era or the early 21st century, or some cave sight in the outreaches of the desert, or some mountainous region or Durham, N.C., you can find it." Creativity does not independently manifest itself, but requires a mind and will to explore a question, Powell added.

Kristina Johnson, dean of the Pratt School of Engineering, said she finds inspiration outside of an academic setting. "My most creative moments I find in the shower-by myself," she said.

Johnson explained that students will also thrive if they are able to venture beyond the classroom and equip themselves with suitable resources.

Senior Matthew Levy, a panelist and a member of the Chronicle's editorial board, said he does not think creativity is thriving in the University's current environment, however. "I felt that there were only two paths-banking or consulting," he said. "It's the view that prevails here."

Levy applauded the fact that the University is trying to address this attitude by allowing undergraduates to take two classes as pass/fail, which fosters creativity by drawing students outside of their "comfort zones" without fretting about GPA, he said.

Freshman David Clain said he was reassured by hearing that grades are not the most important aspect of working toward a Duke diploma.

"The message tonight was that classes are really just the beginning, not the end," he said.

Share and discuss “Panel stresses need for creativity” on social media.