Innovative facility set for December opening

Although it won't open until December, the French Family Science Center has already made a physical mark on West Campus-one that only hints at the magnitude of the effect the facility will have on the University upon its completion.

"This year will witness the opening of the French Family Science Center as a transformative event for the natural sciences at Duke," said George McLendon, dean of the faculty of arts and sciences, at the Sept. 14 Arts and Sciences Council meeting.

And at 280,000 sq. ft., the building is no trifle.

Since 2004, the $115 million it took to fund the center's creation has gradually became the metal and mortar that will house Nobel Prize winners and groundbreaking research.

"It's got to be the best building we've built in a while," said Executive Vice President Tallman Trask-which is saying a lot, considering the recent spate of construction projects at the University.

Connected to the Physics Building and the Biological Sciences Building, French promises to bring together multiple departments under one roof, furthering collaboration and interdisciplinarity.

The science center takes its name from Melinda French Gates, Trinity '86 and Fuqua '87, and her family, who-along with husband Bill Gates-gave Duke $30 million in 2002 to fund the structure.

The facility will feature many research and teaching laboratories for a number of disciplines, including genomics, biological chemistry and physical biology.

Six research greenhouses were also constructed behind the center.

Similar to other recently completed structures like Bostock Library, French was designed to facilitate the flow of light into the building. The aesthetic focal point of French will be its five-story atrium, which reveals a view of the Duke Chapel through the many windows comprising one wall of the building.

After French's completion, the chemistry department will be completely housed in the new facility. Parts of the chemistry department-currently in the Old Chemistry Building and the Gross Chemistry Building-will move into French during Winter Break.

With the departure of the chemistry department from Gross Chemistry, the Nicholas School of Environment and Earth Sciences will begin a gradual move into the facility. Eventually, further renovations and additions will be pursued to accommodate the Nicholas School in its new home.

Share and discuss “Innovative facility set for December opening” on social media.