Class of 2010 hits Duke party scene

Repeated warnings about ruthless Alcohol Law Enforcement agents and the unbearable heat of a packed Shooters II could not keep first-year students away from the bustling social scene of Orientation Week.

After 194 students were cited by state officers during the first few weeks of school last fall, many freshmen said they tried to learn from the experiences of their peers.

"I tried to avoid stuff off campus because of everything we've heard," said freshman Katie Rief.

Sophomore and first-year advisory counselor Lydia Simmons warned freshmen against drinking off campus.

"I didn't tell them too much about going out, but I've seen them at Shooters and Verde," she said.

Despite the increased caution, freshmen and upperclassmen alike had little difficulty finding social outings on the nights before classes began.

"Orientation is very disorienting-in a good way-because there's a lot to do," said freshman Ella Kirby.

Kirby first learned about Shooters II from the article "Sex and Scandal at Duke" in the June 15 issue of Rolling Stone magazine, which detailed a fraternity party held there last spring.

"[Freshmen] wanted to know if it was as sketchy as we thought it was," she said.

Hundreds of Duke students gathered at Shooters II this past Thursday and Saturday night and Kirby was among the many who experienced the saloon for the first time.

"It was ridiculous," freshman Sara Berg said. "There had to have been 2,000 people there and with the 250-degree heat, it was just crazy."

Despite the novelty of collegiate debauchery, some freshmen wished for a break in the nightly ventures.

"You get cajoled into going out," said freshman Zak Kazzaz. "Even though you say you're going to have a quiet night, you just get cajoled into going to a quiet frat party."

Although fraternities have not begun to host registered parties in their sections, many freshmen have joined upperclassmen on West Campus for spontaneous gatherings after hours.

"I don't know if every frat has been trying to flex their muscles or something, but we've done a lot of party hopping," Berg said. A week into their Duke careers, first-year students have enjoyed the pleasures of college without the daily grind of classes.

"Camp Duke-that's pretty much what it feels like," Kazzaz said. "You have no responsibilities and it's great."

Share and discuss “Class of 2010 hits Duke party scene” on social media.