The keys to happiness at Duke

I don't profess to know exactly what it takes to have the perfect college experience. I don't have any step-by-step directions to help you make your time here worthwhile, and honestly, I don't think anyone who claims that he does really knows what he's talking about.

However, what I do have is four years of experiences. And I know I wouldn't give them up for the world. I'm not saying my time here at Duke has been perfect-we'll all have our ups and downs-but the total package I will be leaving with is something that I will cherish for the rest of my life.

Below you will find things that I did during my four years at Duke University that have made my college experience worthwhile. This is not intended to be a checklist of any sort. Everyone does things their own way. These are just some suggestions that I like to think might be worth your time.

First and foremost, never, ever, ever do homework on a Friday night. No excuses. Period. Your friends will hate you, and you will be miserable. My junior year of high school, Mrs. Janoff, who taught me AP Language, explained the virtues of "mental health days" to me. It's important to get away sometimes.

I don't care if you're a triple major in BME, ECE and God knows what else, you've got to find a way to fit a semester abroad into your years at Duke. I cannot think of a reason not to go abroad, and the reasons in favor of it are endless. During my time in Spain, I gallivanted around Europe on my parents' dime, took an Art History course that met in the Prado Museum once a week, and improved my Spanish by leaps and bounds. To top it off, I earned the easiest 4.0 GPA of all time. 'Nuff said.

Next, join a club or group that accomplishes meaningful, tangible things. For me, that organization was The Chronicle. In joining that kind of group, at the very least, you won't feel like a bum, because you won't be spending all of your free time in front of a TV screen. You'll also make more friends. (To all the wonderful people I've met at The Chronicle, thank you so much for making my time at 301 Flowers such a pleasure.)

This may sound silly, but play an intramural sport. Even if it's kickball in the recreational league, it'll be something that will help you and your friends grow closer. It'll also help you manage your stress-I can't tell you how much satisfaction I derived from hitting the hell out of a softball on Sunday nights when I had a 20-pager due the next day and hadn't even started. Good times.

If you think I'm saying that the key to happiness here is being a horrible student, that's not what I mean.

What I'm saying is that you shouldn't be obsessive compulsive about school. It should indeed be of great importance to you, because after all, why are you here anyway?

If you're a Trinity Arts and Crafts student like me, it is worthwhile to do as much of your reading as you can. I say this for a few reasons: First, so you have a come-back when those bitter Enginerds badger you about not ever doing any work; second, because your professors will actually like you when you have something meaningful to say during class discussions; and third, because you'll actually learn something.

Once in seventh grade, my math teacher, Mrs. DeVeau, gave me a pencil for being her student of the month. On this pencil were engraved the words, "Learning is not a spectator sport." Words to live by.

Don't be that guy who sits in the back of the classroom, falls asleep and says absolutely nothing all semester. Nobody likes that guy.

Like I said above, what I'm offering here are just some suggestions. I've lived by them, and they've helped to make my time at Duke the best four years of my life.

Thanks to all of the people who have been so important to me since the day I stepped onto East Campus. I will miss you all terribly. Best of luck to all of you.

Issa Hanna is a Trinity senior and editorial page associate editor of The Chronicle.

Share and discuss “The keys to happiness at Duke” on social media.