Chrest and Kimel take ACC lax honors

Senior Katie Chrest was named ACC Player of the Year and head coach Kerstin Kimel was tabbed ACC Coach of the Year by the league last week. Chrest, who currently holds school records for career goals and points, won the award for the second consecutive year. She has averaged a hat trick per game this season while amassing 46 total goals, including six against William & Mary April 21. She joined four teammates on the All-ACC team.

After leading her Blue Devils to a No. 1 ranking for only the second time in school history, Kimel earned the top-coach award for the fifth time in her 11 seasons with Duke. Kimel set a school record in starting the season with nine straight wins and has tallied nine wins over ranked opponents, including an upset of then-No.1 Northwestern, which was riding a 31-game winning streak, April 7.

Mike Paulus commits to North Carolina

Another Paulus is headed to the Triangle area, but Mike opted not to follow older brother Greg to Duke. Instead, the high school junior, who is one of the top quarterbacks in the country, verbally committed to play football for the rival Tar Heels.

Mike Paulus, who at 6-foot-5 and 215 pounds is significantly bigger than his older brother, turned down reported offers from the likes of USC, Michigan, LSU and Syracuse. Mike threw for 2,130 yards and 22 touchdowns last fall. Although the Tar Heels finished 5-6 last season, Paulus noted first-year offensive coordinator Frank Cignetti as his primary motivation in committing.

Before agreeing to play point guard at Duke, Greg Paulus was also considered one of the nation's top quarterbacks.

Lance Thomas to announce Thursday

McDonald's All-American Lance Thomas will finally put speculation to rest and announce his college decision this Thursday, his coach Dan Hurley confirmed to the Newark Star-Ledger. The 6-foot-9 senior from St. Benedict's Prep who is ranked 42nd in his class by Rivals.com has been deciding between Duke, Rutgers and Florida all year. Thomas led his team to the state Prep A title with 14.1 points per game. His announcement will come at 4:00 pm from St. Benedict's board room.

Share and discuss “Chrest and Kimel take ACC lax honors” on social media.