Next generation of Duke

Duke has undergone some pretty spectacular changes over the last four years, and I have been fortunate enough to witness and even participate in a few. We now have a legitimate art museum, an aesthetically pleasing library worth studying in, an impressive expansion of Pratt and numerous other mind-boggling structural projects.

Duke's administration has also proven itself to be-at times-responsive to student lobbying efforts calling for greater social responsibility. Duke Stores must sell apparel not manufactured under sweatshop conditions, new buildings must be Green-e certified and most importantly, President Brodhead has committed the University to making Duke a possibility for all qualified students, regardless of socioeconomic status.

Yet if we are serious about surpassing our rivals as a progressive institution where innovative ideas, motivated students, cutting edge facilities and next generation research merge, there is plenty more that must be done. Here are a few priorities:

1) Make Central Campus a Model for Duke Social Life and Duke-Durham Relations. Duke's increasingly monotonous social scene has pushed activities off campus and bred intense local hostility. The new Central Campus should serve as a center for social life. An on-campus sports bar would mark a long overdue replacement for The Hideaway, foster a more cohesive community atmosphere at Duke and reduce incidents of drunk driving.

Duke's social scene would also benefit from new construction that facilitates diversity in the arts. A new theater to replace the quaint Page Auditorium would make Duke more attractive for touring musical groups and theater companies, while also elevating opportunities and exposure for our oftentimes underappreciated dance, musical and theater organizations.

Finally, the Central Campus renovation is an ideal opportunity to bring Durham to Duke, while improving the local economy. I envision a Main Street (or perhaps Duke Street-though we already have plenty of those around) lined with local merchants who have proven themselves worthy entrepreneurs. If Duke is striving to create a college-town atmosphere on Central-which it should be-then plopping down a big box Barnes & Noble would be a disastrous expression of corporate largesse and insouciance about the local economy. The Regulator is a family-owned bookstore on 9th Street with a college-feel, and could expand its operation in a new facility on Central. Pursuing other 9th Street vendors, such as Francesca's, would also fill a market demand.

2) Make Duke Carbon Neutral. New campus construction has spurred ever-greater energy demands, while internationally, global warming has reached the "Fear Factor" level. At a time of unprecedented on-campus changes comes an enormous opportunity to take the lead in environmental sustainability.

Student groups such as Environmental Alliance and the Duke University Greening Initiative must begin working with President Brodhead in the fall to develop a comprehensive energy policy for Duke, with the goal being carbon neutrality by some prescribed date. There is no doubt the Central Campus renovations will push Duke beyond the energy capacity of our current on-campus coal plant. A new one will have to be built, and it should be as green as possible. A cogeneration plant that uses steam not just to heat our dorms, but also to turn turbines that produce electricity would be an excellent innovation, particularly if it runs on renewable wind or solar power.

3) Learn from mistakes made with ARAMARK. The most obvious change when students return next fall will be at least one new food service provider. Whoever replaces ARAMARK must be held to certain contractual terms from the start. A package of carrots and sticks must accompany any agreement to ensure consistent and always improving quality of food, service and environmental sustainability. The PACE program is a great vehicle for incentivizing great overall service, but financial penalties for flagging quality are clearly needed, as well.

Working with a new vendor also marks an ideal opportunity to set a standard for purchasing local produce whenever possible and making campus Styrofoam-free. Another innovative and feasible initiative would use food waste from Duke's vendors for compost that our landscaping crew could use for various beautification projects.

As Duke enters the 21st century at warp speed, it must think big while also retaining its core values-including providing an excellent and rigorous education for all students regardless of their financial backgrounds. I leave Duke a cautious optimist, with the hope that the future is a positive one for the University and its continued drive to achieve excellence.

Jared Fish is a Trinity senior. This is his final column.

Share and discuss “Next generation of Duke” on social media.