Memories through the lens

When was the last time you knew in the moment that you were actively making a memory? I spent my life at Duke capturing memories, peering through a lens at the happenings of the unique collection of people who move through this place of gray rock and mortar.

Indeed, it is awkward for me to see my face on the other side of the lens and splashed on the newsprint that will get you through your not-so-thrilling last lecture Tuesday morning. From big games against Carolina to The Stones and the courthouse, I examined my world both in and outside of this so-called Duke bubble. It's occurred to me that the images and words painted on the pages of The Chronicle will resonate as memories of these few years for the collective University. When you leave a place, it is once again easy to focus on the memories, which, for me, have been full of contrast during the past four years.

At times, I felt the enormous pressure to succeed on nights when approaching finals clouded my emotions with such caffeine-induced turbidity that I could not see past 9:10 a.m. the next morning. At times I felt the luckiest. At times I felt betrayed. At times I felt adventurous. At times I felt I had nothing left to wake up for. From late nights at bars in Madrid to Sunrise Easter Service in the Duke Gardens, I have sought to fill my four years among these stone arches with memories. Spending my days and nights with a camera in my hand and a smile on my face helped me capture them.

What has a portfolio of memories taught me? Too often we lose sight of the grandeur of this place called Duke when confronted with small-or large-problems that face the University. We find ourselves decrying the ungodly atrocities of the meal plan or cursing the C-2 schedule when the meeting on another campus started five minutes ago. The ever-changing plans of residential models and social programming dominate conversation for what seems like ages. While not entirely trivial, I worry that these ephemeral concerns overshadow the construction of a whole Duke experience-one that should convey to its students a hearty appreciation for the honor it is to walk on this campus for even four years.

Last night, after going for a run around the campus I've called home, I stared, sweaty, at the sky and breezed through the pages of college in my mind. My final of four laps around this place completed, I was overwhelmed with what had been given to me. Duke surrounded me with peers who challenged me to succeed. More so than any recruiting technique or departmental advantage, the most critical aspect of education at any level is the quality of peer interaction in the classroom. Intelligent, inquisitive colleagues make for brilliant, accomplished graduates. Although I may not remember every nuance of orgo or be able to detail each Shakespearian play written before 1600, Duke compelled me to learn how to think and persevere in the face of stress under the threat of failure. For that, I am thankful.

As I leave this campus with a bundle of memories, I am most thankful for the people who have entered my life to make my collegiate experience what it was. To those who have mentored me, thank you. To those whom I have mentored, thank you as well. Remember to pause, breathe and notice when you make memories-they will mean more than your shiny diploma.

Goodbye and God bless.

Tom Mendel is a Trinity senior and photography editor of The Chronicle.

Share and discuss “Memories through the lens” on social media.