SPORTS  |  ROWING

Duke times show improvement

The women's rowing team fell to three top-15 teams Saturday at the ACC/Big Ten Challenge at Griggs Reservoir in Columbus, Ohio.

Duke's first and second varsity eights took on No. 13 Michigan and No. 11 Michigan State in the morning session. The Blue Devils' first varsity eight broke the seven-minute mark in the last morning event, finishing in 6:43.63. Michigan, however, won the race by more than 17 seconds over Duke and seven seconds over Michigan State.

In the second varsity eight, Michigan State clinched the victory over Michigan by fewer than 2 seconds. It took the Blue Devils 7:13.60 to cross the finish line 28.10 seconds behind the winner.

The Blue Devils' first varsity four finished in 8:20.83, losing to leading Michigan State by 40.8 seconds. The Duke second varsity four completed the 2,000-meter race in 8:24.90, nearly 25 seconds behind the winner, Michigan.

"It was disappointing for us," head coach Robyn Horner said. "From our performance in Texas, we had more expectations, but UM and MSU could have been the mental block for us."

Horner said the team may have been pressured by the high level of ranked competition it faced Saturday. Against No. 7 Ohio State and Michigan State during the afternoon session, however, the Blue Devils were able to drop time.

Despite losing in all the events, Duke's first varsity eight and first varsity four improved their morning records by more than 10 seconds, finishing 6:43.63 and 8:04.33, respectively. The first varsity eight kept in contact with MSU and OSU up to the 1,000-meter mark, but could not maintain their pace.

"We were really disappointed in the morning," captain Emma Darling said. "We tried very hard individually, but there was no chemistry on the team. In the afternoon, we tried to re-esteem ourselves and had a solid race."

Ohio State beat Michigan State in the first varsity eight race by 0.39 seconds, hitting the finishing line in 6:34.20, about a bow ball ahead the Michigan State boat, which finished in 6:34.59.

The Blue Devils' performance was also hindered by injuries Saturday. There are currently five injured players on the roster, and two of the rowers in the second varsity eight-Irania Miles and Michelle Lancto-returned to the lineup after nursing injuries.

"We just put the second varsity eights together last week," Horner said. "The young people need to build the boat chemistry and get used to the high level of competition in collegiate rowing races."

A young team, the Blue Devils are steadily improving. Over spring break, the first varsity eight took three of four races at the Longhorn Invitational in Austin, and was named the ACC Crew of the Week March 20.

The Blue Devils will next race at the Lake Wheeler Invitational in Raleigh this Saturday.

Share and discuss “Duke times show improvement” on social media.