Campus Council mulls over security cameras

As soon as next fall, students may find entrances around campus that are not only guarded by card swipes but also by cameras.

Campus Council members and representatives from the Duke University Police Department discussed the possibility of installing surveillance cameras at the perimeter of buildings at the Council's general body meeting Thursday.

Robert Dean, director of DUPD, and Aaron Graves, associate vice president for campus safety and security, were invited to speak to members on the issue.

Graves explained that DUPD is currently developing a master security plan. No changes, however, will be implemented until the next academic year.

"It has been a collaborative effort to work to where we want to go in the future," he said, noting that adequate integration of technology is only a small part of the plan.

Council members raised questions regarding the use and costs of the cameras and the possible infringement on privacy.

The primary use of the cameras will be to document traffic in and out of buildings around campus and the recordings will only be accessed when needed, Graves explained. No cameras will be installed within residential buildings unless DUPD determines there is a legitimate need.

In areas identified as high risk, however, active monitoring may be employed, Graves said. He was unable to identify specific areas that would fall under this category.

Council President Jay Ganatra, a junior, said privacy is an important issue to be discussed.

"I know [DUPD] won't use it just to spy on kids, but any time there is constant monitoring everyone feels their privacy is being infringed on," he said.

The cameras will be put in place only to provide a sense of security to students, Graves said. "They are not there to catch you doing something wrong," he added.

There is not a terrible crime problem at the University, he said, but installing cameras will address community members' impression of Duke being unsafe.

"The cameras will help more with perception and fear of crime than actual crimes," Graves said. "The end product will be people coming to this institution and feeling, 'This is a great place to be and nothing bad will happen to me.'"

Vice President Chris Hopper, a sophomore, asked how much students will be involved in shaping the use of surveillance cameras.

Dean said student input will be considered but it may be difficult to manage because the student body changes every year.

Budgetary concerns regarding installing cameras on campus were also raised.

DUPD representatives were unable to give an estimated cost of the project, as no changes have been planned. Graves, however, said a total of $12 million was spent when a similar project was initiated at the University of Southern California.

"It is more than just buying a camera- we have to consider all the peripheral things that will go and support that," he said, citing increased staffing and maintenance as examples.

Possible camera vandalism may increase costs for the project, Ganatra said.

"My biggest concern is that it will turn into a black hole of money," he said. "Students may see these things, think, 'Big Brother is watching me,' and wreck them."

Graves said an in-depth cost-benefit analysis will be conducted by the University and DUPD before cameras are installed.

The issue discussed is very important to Campus Council, Ganatra said, noting much more discussion is needed before any changes are made.

"A lot of things need to be worked out before we can even consider cameras," he said. "The cost will be enormous-I don't want to put a price on security but I don't know how effective they're going to be."

In other business:

Sophomore Hasnain Zaidi was appointed to be next year's facilities and services chair Monday, completing the 2006-2007 Executive Board.

Council members elected sophomore Julia Blessing, freshman Dan Piech and freshman Victor Zhu as next year's at-large representatives out of a field of five candidates.

Share and discuss “Campus Council mulls over security cameras” on social media.