Renovations to Crowell stalled by money woes

Future residents of Crowell Quadrangle may begin to see structural improvements to the residence area in summer 2007, although the start of construction will ultimately be decided by the availability of funding, administrators said this week.

Although Eddie Hull, dean of residence life and executive director of housing services, told The Chronicle last July that work on Crowell would begin in summer 2006, this week he cited price-an estimated $30 million for the total renovations-as the major factor currently stalling the launch of the project.

"There's a plan, but the issue is when we'll be able to actually initiate it," Hull said. "We're kind of on hold at the moment due to funding."

The total cost of construction will be similar to that of the renovations of Kilgo Quadrangle completed in summer 2004- the last West Campus quad to be revamped.

Hull added that although no donors have made any definite commitments to fund the Crowell project, he is looking for outside support and hopes to have a financial model by the end of this semester. The model would allow for a year of planning so that renovations could begin as soon as 2007.

Hull explained that work on the dormitories would only occur during the summer so that students would not be prevented from utilizing the space.

The same approach was taken for Kilgo, and the finalized project took three summers to complete.

Hull said he expects the renovation of Crowell to take two or three summers.

The improvements to Crowell would be similar to those made in Kilgo, including the installation of air conditioning and more commons space.

Hull said he will work with Campus Council and will sit down with students to determine what changes are necessary from their perspectives.

Crowell residents agreed that the quad would benefit from the changes that are slated to be made. Several also said they would like to see reconstructed bathrooms and hope the renovations will relieve the insect infestations that have been a problem in past fall semesters.

"It could use a face lift," senior Heather Williams said. "It's kind of like a dungeon in here."

Several students said that while many of the quad's problems are small, they have added up to create the need for renovations.

"There's nothing structurally wrong with Crowell," said current resident Edward Philpot, a sophomore. "It's just little things."

Quad Council President Andrea Dinamarco, a sophomore, said the quad could use the improvements. She noted that the houses suffer from leaks, squeaky doors and broken windows but are most in need of improved commons spaces "to create a better community."

"The renovation will be very beneficial to residents, especially if they improve the commons rooms," Dinamarco said. "I've been trying to work towards making Crowell where people can hang out."

Once renovations to Crowell are completed, residents of other dormitories can look forward to similar changes. Craven Quad is next in line for restoration, followed by Gilbert-Addoms and Southgate dormitories on East Campus.

Share and discuss “Renovations to Crowell stalled by money woes” on social media.