Duke Dems: DSG endorsements

The Executive Board of Duke Democrats has assessed the candidates for Duke Student Government offices on the basis of their qualification for their respective positions, and specifically on the ways in which they will help active political student organizations and groups, move forward and work together. Although many candidates are very well qualified, we have chosen to endorse the following candidates in the 2006 DSG elections:

President - Hasnain Zaidi. Hasnain has the best ability build relationships within the administration and thus pull top political speakers to Duke's campus. Hasnain will not shy away from controversy in intellectual debate and civic involvement. He is most ready to collaborate with active student organizations and encourage the productive exchange of ideas.

Executive vice president - Damjan DeNoble. Damjan has a vision for DSG to embrace a culture of ingenuity, not one of heavy bureaucracy. He is poised to make Duke's campus more politically dynamic by helping organizations voice their opinions in a forum free from status quo censors.

Vice president of student affairs - Maggie McGannon. Maggie has several innovative ideas to empower students with political opportunities. We specifically support her intentions to appoint DSG liaisons to student groups, to create a politics-related e-mail event system, and to push for a more extensive Career Center database of internship and employment opportunities.

Vice president of community interaction - Daniel Bowes. Daniel has had great experience in working with community groups as president of the ACLU at Duke. He best understands the obstacles student leaders face and has great ideas to heighten communication between leaders. One such idea is to require CI senators to attend a number of student group meetings upon request.

Vice president of academic affairs - Jimmy Soni. Through his work as president of the DPU, Jimmy has made Duke a more politically engaged campus. We support his efforts to inspire political dialogue.

Vice president of athletics and campus services - David Snider. David understands that political groups and other student organizations need DSG to minimize the logistical barriers for holding successful events. He proposes to better publicize occupancy and reservation information for available spaces on-campus, possibly through an on-line database.

Duke Democrats Executive Board

Share and discuss “Duke Dems: DSG endorsements” on social media.