Student Artist Spotlight

Huge charcoal drawings cover the entire room. But this isn't a museum or gallery; rather, it's the apartment of varsity field hockey player and senior Kirsten Bostrom.

A visual arts major with a minor in economics and a markets and management certificate, Bostrom is currently completing her senior distinction project: a series of life-size charcoal drawings inspired by strangers in Manhattan's Central Park. "I love looking at people-seeing people interact, express themselves, escaping in their own ways," Bostrom said. She connects with people through these shared emotions.

"Kirsten is really challenging herself on multiple levels," said Merrill Shatzman,associate professor of the practice in the art history department, Bostrom's advisor on the distinction project. "She pairs the pictorial element with the expressive element of her drawing. She makes choices that are new to her."

Bostrom said she has always had a passion for drawing. As a child, she was first inspired by her grandfather's paintings. She pursued art classes in high school and within her community.

However, Bostrom's mix of talents forced her to make difficult choices. Attending art school would have meant giving up her other passion, field hockey. She ultimately chose Duke, deciding to balance her interests.

When Bostrom first arrived on campus, she said she felt pressured to become pre-med or an economics major, like so many Duke students. But she couldn't ignore her interest in art-an interest that has taken forms other than drawing. Bostrom has also explored painting, silk screening and recently photography.

Bostrom's passion for photography blossomed after participating in the Studio Arts Center International in Florence during a summer abroad. "I want to carry my camera around all day," she said. "It's like a part of me." Bostrom said she is trying for her first-ever publication with a book of photographs of the Duke Chapel.

And while some Duke artists find careers entirely separate from their creative pursuits, Bostrom has found a way to merge her artistic and career goals. Following graduation, Bostrom will participate in fashion icon Ralph Lauren's year-long Executive Training Program in New York City. She then hopes to continue working in a creative industry.

Share and discuss “Student Artist Spotlight” on social media.