A safer Ninth Street

One of the joys of East Campus is its close proximity to Ninth Street. Last year, as a freshman, I found almost whatever I needed just a short walk away.

Yet, far more than mere convenience, the area also has unique people and an intriguing culture surrounding its diverse group of shops. Although I frequently poke fun at the left-wing nature of that culture-the outrageous bumper stickers and the slanted selection at the Regulator Bookshop-it nonetheless affected my life in a positive way last year by adding another dimension to my college experience.

It is exactly because Ninth Street gave me so much last year that I am deeply troubled by its susceptibility to crime.

The Duke community was reminded of the dangers of Ninth Street by two incidents involving students.

In November, four men robbed a student as he was walking out of Cosmic Cantina, and just last month two 18 year-olds were mugged at gunpoint on Perry Street.

These two events, however, are just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to Ninth Street crime.

Much like an aerial photo of the Florida coast shows the prevalence of sharks among swimmers in the surf, the Durham Police Department's online "Crime Mapper" reveals the widespread crime around Ninth Street.

Within one-quarter mile from the intersection of Perry and Iredell Streets, 128 crimes including motor vehicle theft, simple assault, robbery and rape were recorded last year.

For more specific numbers from 2005, this area had three simple assaults, three burglaries, 16 thefts from motor vehicles, five thefts of motor vehicles, seven thefts of motor vehicle parts, nine robberies and-this is the most disturbing of all-two forcible rapes.

I could add shoplifting and all other larceny, too, but I do not believe students are too concerned about that sort of crime.

While these numbers may shock readers, they do not surprise me in the least. Anyone who has walked down Perry Street for a late-night Cosmic Cantina run, or even gone down that street in the early evening, has probably felt a little uneasy doing so because he or she knows just how dangerous it is.

The city of Durham has not done enough to help rid Ninth Street of its crime. There are some basic improvements that could go a long way in preventing it and improving the area in general.

For starters, Perry Street needs better lighting. There are only a few street lamps there, and they are dim ones at that. Because there are alleys, a church parking lot sheltered by trees and a sketchy gravel parking lot across from Cosmic Cantina, criminals have many places in which to hide.

Because of the poor lighting one feels completely vulnerable whenever walking down Perry Street-and with good reason. Last year my friends and I often saw suspicious figures lurking in the shadows and alleys.

Simply put, better lighting would reduce the risk of crime and alleviate students' fears.

In addition, both Durham and Duke Police should patrol Perry Street on a more regular basis.

Having officers on foot or bicycle patrolling Perry and Ninth Streets at all hours of the night would certainly deter crime better than the occasional police cruiser flying by.

Police should also work on their response time. When those two young students were robbed outside Cosmic Cantina last month, it took the Durham Police more than an hour to arrive after they were notified, much to the irritation of the victims.

Whether we like it or not, crime surrounds East Campus. With better lighting and more frequent police patrols, the Ninth Street area will continue to flourish, adding another positive aspect of the Duke experience.

Jamie Deal is a Trinity sophomore. His column runs every other Thursday.

Share and discuss “A safer Ninth Street” on social media.