DSG not lethargic

The Feb. 6 staff editorial commenting on President Brodhead's discussion with a joint session of DSG and GPSC failed to give credit to many challenging questioners, and be mindful of the circumstances of the interaction.

It seems to me, as both a reader of the editorial and an attendee of the event, that The Chronicle editorial board would have preferred an inquisition to force apologies and admissions of guilt from a well-intending (and well-achieving for the most part) President.

The sincere discussions of financial aid, raising the representation of minorities in the faculty (particularly sciences) and discussion of ARAMARK that accounted for more intricacies than often considered (including possible layoffs, the potential for even worse food, and lengthy transition periods) fell upon the deaf ears of the editorial board.

The editorial focused particularly on question regarding parking.

I was the senator to ask President Brodhead why Duke's business model designed Auxiliary Services sub-departments as cost-recouping modules, rather than enforcing financial responsibility through strict budgetary control from above.

While he didn't first grasp the extent of the question, joked and admitted he wasn't an expert in all matters of University policy, I clarified, expanded and drove the heart of an issue I feel he answered to fullest extent possible. I plan to pursue the issue further in private, having raised it sufficiently in public.

I apologize we didn't bring the nails and hammers to crucify President Brodhead as the editorial board and tabloid aficionados would have preferred.

Jamie Campbell

DSG Senator, Committee for

Community Interaction

Trinity '06

Share and discuss “DSG not lethargic” on social media.