Addressing the "T" of LGBT

In line with its conservative nature, Duke has a very small LGBT community. Given the relatively weak voice of the gay students, it is not surprising transgender issues are usually overlooked by the administration.

How many transgender/questioning students are there at Duke? I know several, but a good estimate is impossible for two reasons: They either hide their discomfort with their gender presentation or live in "stealth" as the opposite gender. Does the small size of the trans population mean they do not deserve advocacy? No-it makes them most worthy of help.

Despite what conservatives no doubt think, trans students and faculty have a lot to offer Duke. In addition to being writers, artists and actors, trans people are top surgeons, chemists, engineers and astrophysicists, and their contributions to these fields exceed what should be possible for their numbers.

Furthermore, the fact that trans identities have existed and do exist in so many cultures and time periods suggests that they are here to stay and will assume increasing prominence in American society as their rights and publicity grow.

It is in the interest of Duke to be at the forefront of change and not be dragged behind in its wake. Indeed, Cornell, NYU, Ohio State, Ithaca, U. Penn, UCLA, UC Berkeley, American, U. Chicago and many other schools have already enacted policies in recent years to help trans students. What specifically can we do to assist at Duke and change our reputation for close-mindedness? Fortunately, some incredibly simple things.

As a start, I propose the creation of two gender-neutral bathrooms in the West Union building.

These single-stall lockable bathrooms would be more convenient for everyone because one could use whichever bathroom was available and 1) not have to wait to use the room with the "appropriate" stick figure; 2) Moreover, anyone with a small child of the opposite gender might prefer to use these restrooms, and 3) so might a differently-abled person with either special needs or an attendant.

Four more reasons for gender-neutral bathrooms are eliminating the hassles of 4) finding the "correct" toilet, 5) waiting while your bathroom is being cleaned, and 6) guys' needing a key for their moms when they visit (and vice-versa), as well as 7) for the sake of the equality of the sexes.

As valid as these reasons are, the crux of the argument is how important these bathrooms are to trans individuals. Selecting your bathroom usually is not rocket science, but for some students, an everyday activity generates tremendous fear, discomfort and intimidation.

The pressure to avoid gendered restrooms also often leads to difficulties for trans students, like being late to class or having bladder problems. Gender neutral bathrooms 8, 9) alleviate these two problems and 10-12) reduce the possibilities of ridicule, arrest or even violence for using the "wrong" restroom.

No one should have to feel uncomfortable or unsafe in the bathroom. Eventually, society must address its discomfort with trans individuals, but until then, gender-neutral bathrooms are an easy solution.

It would be hard to oppose this measure. We are talking about 13) a mere two bathrooms that are 14) directly connected to the LGBT Center. The cost of this conversion would be minimal (15)-they just need to be relabeled and cleaned, which should happen regardless.

This would leave plenty of traditional bathrooms, and chances are, if you are opposed to this idea you are not going to be using the LGBT Center bathrooms anyway.

Girls afraid of unclean or unsafe restrooms should note that 16) their restrooms usually contain the most germs already, and 17) I know of no incident where a trans person was not on the receiving end of a violent incident. Even if you are discriminatory, then 18) at least people you don't want in your bathroom will have a sensible alternative.

These gender-neutral bathrooms are symbolic as well as practical. They would 19) demonstrate our understanding and acceptance of trans/questioning students and 20) attract top LGBT applicants in the future.

However, a mere two gender-neutral bathrooms are just the tip of the iceberg for what I hope will eventually happen: gender orientation added to our non-discrimination policy, unisex bathrooms in all future buildings, open-gender housing and the easy changing of school records and IDs.

I like gender; I just think people can choose the gender appropriate for them and still be treated decently by our society. I hope this column will raise awareness of the need to address the "T" of LGBT at Duke and build support for gender-neutral bathrooms.

Jeremy Marshall is a Trinity sophomore. His column runs every other Wednesday.

Share and discuss “Addressing the "T" of LGBT” on social media.