News & notes from Wednesday's game

Nelson re-injured in 1st half

Duke's win over Maryland did not come without a price. Sophomore guard DeMarcus Nelson, who had missed nine games with a hairline fracture in his right ankle before returning for Duke's win over Wake Forest Jan. 8, injured his right foot late in the first half.

Nelson appeared to bang his foot against that of a Maryland player while chasing down a loose ball. He corralled the ball, but came away limping. On the same possession, Nelson received the ball and drove to the basket. He collided with another Terrapin player and collapsed in a heap under the basket.

He limped off the court under his own power, but did not play again.

"He can't recall just how it happened," head coach Mike Krzyzewski said. "He had that charge but he can't say, 'Well this is what happened.'"

Nelson came out of the locker room for the second half wearing a boot on his right foot. He sat on the bench next to head team manager Mike Jarvis-with crutches nearby-wearing warm-ups. During breaks in the action he remained on the bench while the team huddled on the court. After the game, he limped around the locker room grimacing.

No timetable has been set for Nelson's return, as the game ended too late to x-ray the injury.

"DeMarcus is a strong guy who's going to be here for his team," guard Sean Dockery said. "He's going to get better and probably get better fast."

Williams records triple-double

With 19 points, 11 rebounds and 10 blocks, forward Shelden Williams recorded his first career triple-double-the first registered by a Duke player in more than 28 years.

Gene Banks had 13 points, 12 rebounds and 11 assists on Jan. 9, 1978 for the Blue Devils' most recent triple-double before Williams' performance Wednesday night.

The only other triple-double in Blue Devil history was registered by Art Heyman on Feb. 28, 1963. He had 21 points, 18 rebounds and 10 assists in a win over Virginia.

Williams' 10 blocks tied Cherokee Parks for the highest single-game total in Blue Devil history. He needs only five more blocks to tie Mike Gminski for the Duke career record.

Johnson, other celebs attend

Several former Duke players and national celebrities were among the 9,314 in attendance.

Former Blue Devils Nate James and Jason Williams-members of the 2001 National Championship squad-sat together behind Duke's bench. Christian Laettner and Brian Davis-both members of Duke's back-to-back National Championship teams in 1991 and 1992-sat on the baseline.

NBA Hall-of-Famer Magic Johnson sat on the opposite baseline from Laettner and Davis and Bob Novak-the nationally syndicated columnist who initially disclosed the identity of CIA agent Valerie Plame-sat behind the Maryland bench.

"Meeting Magic Johnson today, and knowing the success that he had in college and the NBA, playing point guard and getting a lot of triple-doubles, it's great to have a triple-double in front of him," Shelden Williams said. "Having great company like that watching you, it's a great feeling."

Share and discuss “News & notes from Wednesday's game” on social media.