Service celebrates $20M Divinity School addition

Four years of planning and construction culminated Tuesday evening at the dedication of the Goodson Chapel and Westbrook Building, which make up the recently completed addition to the Divinity School.

The project, which cost more than $20 million, was approved by the Board of Trustees in December 2002. Construction began soon after approval and involved adding 53,000-square foot building to the original Divinity School facility. The new space includes the Goodson Chapel, a refectory, a prayer room and several classrooms.

The Westbrook Building also houses the Duke Institute on Care at the End of Life, which was largely funded by gifts from Rev. Hugh Westbrook and his wife. Westbrook, Divinity '70, co-founded the VITAS Healthcare Corp. of Miami and has dedicated himself to the field of hospice care.

The institute "works to improve research, education and practice in the care of those near death through inter-disciplinary collaboration and leadership," according to the dedication service program.

Replacing the Divinity School's York Chapel, the Goodson Chapel offers a 315-seat prayer space with 55-foot high wooden ceilings and an organ balcony. It was named in honor of W. Kenneth Goodson, who graduated from the Divinity School and served as a University trustee.

The Duke Endowment provided significant funding for the construction of the addition, where the Divinity School has now moved its student life offices, bookstore and several faculty offices.

Discussing the many improvements the building brings to the school, Kristine Ritter, wife of visiting faculty member Rev. Dr. William Ritter, and Aileen Maddox agreed that the better classrooms will benefit the students most. Both served as tour guides for the reception following the dedication service.

Fourteen original pieces of art were commissioned for the new addition. The artistic works range from a bronze sculpture to etched glass panels to limestone inscriptions.

Focusing on scripture, the artwork provides inspiration for a 14-part "Art as Evangelism" preaching series this fall.

Also included in the service, which began in Duke Chapel and migrated to Goodson Chapel, was the naming of the Langford Building, formerly known as New Divinity and Old Divinity.

The building, added in 1970, was named in honor of Thomas Langford, former dean of the Divinity School and provost of the University.

Share and discuss “Service celebrates $20M Divinity School addition” on social media.