SPORTS  |  ROWING

Duke sweeps races at tune-up meet

The rowing team set the tone for the 2005-2006 season Oct. 8 at the Lake Michie Invitational.

The team swept all four races-the varsity eight, varsity four, varsity double and varsity single-against North Carolina and West Virginia.

"I am pleased with how we did, but this tournament only serves as a warm-up," head coach Robyn Horner said.

In the varsity eight race, Duke's top boat finished in a time of 13:27:91, which was more than 35 seconds faster than second-place West Virginia. Blue Devil boats also took third and fifth in that race.

Duke had similar success in the varsity four as Sarah Shapiro, Michelle Lancto, Krista Harryman and Leah Frank-Finney teamed up to win the heat by less than six seconds over the Blue Devils B-boat.

Kate Kearney and Emily Herrington were victorious in the double, and Iraina Miles won the single competition.

"We are more fit and more ready for the upcoming season than in the past," Shapiro said. "We have a lot of energy and momentum going into the season. As a senior, I am excited to see how the team has grown."

Despite her team's success, Homer said Duke's performance shed light on some areas the rowers need to improve upon before their more competitive races.

"We learned what we need to work on for our next race and have begun making adjustments on technical things in practice," Homer said.

The Blue Devils first true test against some of the nation's elite teams will take place at the Head of the Charles, the world's largest two-day rowing event, Oct. 22-23.

"It is too early to tell," Homer said of how her team might perform against topflight competition. "The Head of the Charles in two weeks will be a much better indicator because it is a full 5K race."

Share and discuss “Duke sweeps races at tune-up meet” on social media.