SPORTS  |  GOLF

Blue Devils shoot to defend title

A year ago the men's golf team claimed the Duke Classic in record fashion, firing a four-under par total on its way to a 13-stroke victory over the field.

The No. 7 Blue Devils are looking to replicate last year's success when the tournament begins Sunday at the Duke Golf Club. Vying with Duke for tournament supremacy are six of the nation's top 30 teams, including fifth-ranked Minnesota, 12th-ranked Notre Dame and last year's tournament runner-up No. 21 North Carolina.

"While we did well last year, we fail if we don't win this tournament on Sunday," senior Ryan Blaum said. "Second place doesn't rest well with us."

At the Duke Classic last year, Blaum and teammate Michael Quagliano lost in a four-way playoff to UNC's Martin Ureta and finished in a tie for second place. Blaum, the nation's 36th-ranked golfer, opened his season with an even-par 216 at the NCAA Fall Preview, Sept. 26-28.

At that tournament, junior Jake Grodzinsky was the Blue Devils' top golfer, finishing in ninth place at three-under-par. His performance catapulted him to 16th in the national rankings.

This weekend, the Blue Devils will enjoy the advantage of playing on their home course, but head coach Rod Myers said his team's familiarity with the greens and course layout will not guarantee a Duke victory.

"There's no question the home course gives us an advantage," Myers said. "At the same time the Washington Duke has a very demanding layout. We're going to have to play good golf to win this tournament. This is not a local knowledge golf course."

Grodzinsky said he believes the home course advantage could also work against the Blue Devils, and that in order to emerge victorious, Duke must make a concerted team-effort and work hard for every shot.

"It's nice to play on our home course," Grodzinsky said. "Knowledge can't hurt you. On the other hand, you also see all the trouble at every hole, the good shots, and the potential bad shots. It helps, but the course advantage is overrated. If we're going to win it's going to have to be a team effort."

The Blue Devils got off to a good start to their season, placing fifth at the NCAA Fall Preview, which featured 12 of the top 15 teams from last year's NCAA Championships. Although none of the teams in this weekend's field played in that tournament, Duke is still expecting stiff competition.

"As long as the guys bring their A game we're good," Myers said. "We need to avoid double bogeys and drive the ball well on the fairway. Otherwise, things will take care of themselves."

Share and discuss “Blue Devils shoot to defend title” on social media.