10 Questions for Yektan TA¼rkyilmaz

TA¼rkyilmaz, a fourth-year graduate student in cultural anthropology, spent almost two months in jail in Yerevan, Armenia. While he was bringing several books more than 50 years old home with him to Turkey for his research, TA¼rkyilmaz was arrested for charges related to infringements on "cultural values." The arrest created a stir in the media over the summer; he was released Aug. 15. TV's Andrew Gerst caught up with the young Turk a few weeks ago.

What were the conditions like in the Armenian prison?

Well, in jail, it's not that great. I was isolated with no access to information; I didn't know what was going on outside. I could talk to a lawyer, but the information they gave me was oftentimes not, let's say, very accurate.

The first lawyer-by the way, I had three-was appointed by the KGB, and I was obliged to say yes to that. There was a radio, but you could only hear the official channel. There were three papers, one being official, two being semi-official papers.

I could see my cellmate and no one else; they were careful not to put me in touch with other persons. I didn't eat the food they gave me. So one of my friends brought me some basics, just bread, vegetables, fruit, trying to keep me in good shape. But other than the first day, I was not badly treated; but the first day they cursed at me, tried to intimidate me. But I know they were really careful about me, making sure that everything I get is in good shape, no poisonous stuff. They were worried that if anything happened to me I'd be in really bad shape.

What about cellmates?

I had good relations with my cellmates.  I spent one month with one guy, and two months with two other inmates. I made great friends, they helped me a lot; they were really great people.  They were in jail for fraud, money transfers-but all university-educated people; they didn't put me in touch with violent ones.

Why do you think the airport police gave you such a hard time?

They couldn't put me in any category-my situation made no sense.

I'm a Turkish citizen, with a Turkish background, doing research on Armenia, going to school in the United States, books in Armenian, critical of controversial Turkish issues-the story was too good to believe for them. They thought there were other reasons behind my presence in Armenia.

Did the Turkish government do anything to help you?

They probably did, but I don't know. There are no diplomatic relations between Turkey and Armenia, no embassy. That's the reason I was arrested, because these countries do not have good relations.

So do you think they would have arrested you if you weren't Turkish?

No, no, no, no, no. No way. I was the first person arrested and taken to court in Armenia for a crime relating to books ever. Ever.

But I'm a scholar, not a politician. I'm not bitter. They thought I was a Turkish spy, and I'm sure they understood that I am not. I'm so grateful to the Duke community, to President Brodhead, to the provost, to my adviser, Orin Starn-he came to Armenia. I'm grateful to my colleagues-Armenian, Turkish, and U.S. Turkish and Armenian scholars came together and signed a common document, and that is important to me. One upshot of my arrest is it's opened up new space for cooperation between scholars from these countries. And I'm also thankful to American politicians; Bob Dole wrote a letter that made a big difference.

Will this whole adventure deter you from returning to Armenia?

No! I've got so many good friends in Armenia! I love Armenia. People recognize me and will talk; they were so friendly; they were critical of what the government did. Now I have even more friends over there. Armenia is like my home country. I see no difference between Armenia and Turkey. I'll go back; it's my home.

I understand you learned a fair amount of Russian in jail. How did you manage that?

I started learning the alphabet, some basic grammar. It's very difficult to concentrate on anything in prison. But I started learning it-a good passage of time, with nothing to do. I was either reading-they let my friends bring me books, that was great-or I would be chatting or playing games with them, or studying Russian.

Share and discuss “10 Questions for Yektan TA¼rkyilmaz” on social media.