SPORTS  |  SOCCER

Rennie set to square off with alma mater

When head coach John Rennie goes for his 418th career win-a victory which would give him sole possession of sixth place on the list of winningest coaches in Division I history-he'll be facing a school of which he has fond memories.

The 11th-ranked Blue Devils (4-1-1) will host Rennie's alma mater, Temple, Saturday at 7 p.m. at Koskinen Stadium.

Rennie, a 1967 graduate of Temple, earned varsity letters in three sports, including soccer where he played forward.

"I scored five goals in my first game as a varsity player, but it was downhill from there," Rennie said.

In his 27th year as Duke's head coach, Rennie will meet Temple for just the second time while at the helm of the Blue Devils. Last year, Duke defeated the Owls, 3-0, at home.

The coach anticipates a difficult contest Saturday.

"I wouldn't expect an easy game from my Temple Owls," Rennie said.

After starting the season slowly, Temple (2-5) has won two of its last three games but has lost each of its two road games. Despite the Owls' early season struggles, senior captain Danny Kramer expects them to come with something to prove.

"You can't take any team lightly," Kramer said. "This is Temple's biggest game of the year, and they are looking for an upset. If they come down and beat us that will make their season."

The Blue Devils are coming off a pair of double overtime games against ACC teams. Duke was forced to come from behind in each, winning the first 3-2 against Wake Forest Sept. 18 and tying Virginia Tech, 2-2, Sept. 20.

"It had a great effect on the team," Rennie said. "Both games we had to make come backs, and we did. By Saturday, our legs will be back, and we will be a better team."

Duke appeared to have more energy left than the Hokies during the overtime periods, a credit to the team's conditioning, junior midfielder Chris Loftus said following Tuesday's game.

Still, to help players recover from their fatigue and avoid exhaustion this weekend, Rennie gave the Blue Devils a day off Wednesday and shortened practice Thursday.

"We are definitely fit," Loftus said. "If we do go on to overtime, we will definitely put Temple away."

Loftus has been leading the offensive charge for Duke, having already matched his career high in goals with five. The Blue Devils have scored at least two goals in every contest except its 4-1 loss to St. John's Sept. 11.

On the other hand, the Owls have allowed 2.6 goals per contest and have been outshot by their opponents 105-71.

Share and discuss “Rennie set to square off with alma mater” on social media.