Football spectator robbed by 3 men near Towerview

Armed assailants robbed a 16-year-old man of his keys and cell phone on campus Saturday night.

The man was walking near Towerview and Circuit drives at about 8:40 p.m. when three men between the ages of 18 and 22 accosted him. One of the three then pressed a sharp object against his neck and demanded money, said Leanora Minai, senior public relations specialist for Duke University Police Department. The victim was not carrying cash at the time.

The victim, who was visiting campus with his parents for the Duke-Virginia Tech football game, was not injured in the incident.

This is the first armed robbery on campus since the beginning of the 2004-2005 academic year, when a flurry of incidents occurred in close succession. Shortly thereafter, the University hired Securitas, a security service company that provided guards to patrol campus. Since that time, administrators replaced Securitas with Allied Security, which provides a similar function for the campus.

Minai said these officers, and those from the police force, were on patrol at the time.

"We don't have an officer on every square foot on campus," Minai said. "Crimes like these are crimes of opportunity."

In order to prevent a similar attack from occurring, Minai suggested students walk in well-lit areas and walk in pairs. She also warned students not to fight back if someone attacks them.

"If you see someone suspicious or suspicious behavior, call the police department or use the blue light phone," Minai said. "Just be aware of your surroundings."

Share and discuss “Football spectator robbed by 3 men near Towerview” on social media.