DCIM focuses on holistic medicine

Marva Price teaches acupuncture, studies herbal remedies and promotes the healing benefits of massage. A strong believer in a holistic lifestyle, she feels non-traditional approaches are the medicine of tomorrow.

For Price, an assistant professor in Duke University's School of Nursing and a longtime collaborator with the Duke Center for Integrative Medicine, alternative medical treatment has become a major part of her teaching and her life.

"It's really opened my mind," Price said.

Integrative healthcare-a melding of traditional and alternative medical practices-is gaining popularity in many medical communities, including Duke University Health System. And DUHS is hoping to help bring integrative approaches into the mainstream.

"Surveys among [DUHS] staff have indicated wideheld support of integrative health practices," said Linda Smith, director of programs and operations. "Our goal in the near future is to provide a living, breathing model of what health care should be like."

DUHS officials broke ground this summer for a 26,985-square-foot health and healing clinic-Phase I of DCIM's integrative health model-that will be located on the Duke Center for Living campus.

DCIM officials said the center will aim to foster collaboration between DUHS, DCIM and the community in the promotion of preventative health practices.

The center-slated for completion in July 2006-will be unique in its efforts to create an immersion experience in integrative medicine.

Though future plans have yet to be developed fully , DCIM officials also plan to construct live-in patient treatment facilities.

To encourage the practice of "a holistic approach targeting the mind, body and spirit," Smith said, features of the center will include a demonstration kitchen, meditation room, workshop rooms and a fitness center.

Tracy Gaudet, director of DCIM, noted that the center will strive to publicize its resources both "within and outside the walls of the Duke community."

It will offer a new spin on the doctor-patient relationship through seminars and workshops. With DCIM's integrative health model, patients will be encouraged to take an active role in the treatment process by evaluating their lifestyle choices.

DCIM initiatives include stress management programs and the development of personal health plans.

Price has even incorporated some of DCIM's philosophy into her teaching.

"I wanted my nurse practitioners to know more than, 'This is the prescription you can write,'" Price said. "I was assisted by four DCIM staff who demonstrated various techniques, such as acupuncture and herbal remedies, that touched on patient recovery and care from all angles."

Although only time will determine the success of DCIM's health model, officials feel the center is poised to become a national leader in integrative health care.

"I've seen advances in integrative health evolve over the past decade or so in various applicable ways," Price said. "I think integrative medicine will serve as a major component of medicine of the future."

Share and discuss “DCIM focuses on holistic medicine” on social media.