Steroid allegations are accurate

Duke Baseball’s coaching staff implicitly encouraged steroid use; especially performance-enhancing drugs.

I can assure you that the statements that Drew Jerdan and Justin Calliham made to The Chronicle are accurate portrayals of my experience with the Duke Baseball program.

It was only a matter of time for these issues to come to light and for Bill Hillier’s misconduct to come under fire. I imagine that it will be hard for President Richard Brodhead to turn a blind eye to the resounding sigh that I expect to follow these allegations. Nevertheless, if Executive Vice President Tallman Trask is going to do this investigation justice, he will have to do more than merely rely on Joe Alleva and Chris Kennedy. There are obvious conflicts of interest between Joe Alleva and Bill Hillier. Additionally, what sort of confessions can Chris Kennedy expect from athletes that are presently playing for Bill Hillier?

I graduated from Duke University, not Colorado. I expect Duke officials to be more vigilant after two teammates admit to steroid use and 12 former players confirm that steroid use was/is in fact widespread because of the environment that Bill Hillier created/es for his players.

Bill Hillier’s coaching techniques are unfit for Duke University, and I strongly encourage the University to consider seriously the allegations that are being brought against him; I have yet to disagree with one of them.    

Evan Anderson

Former Duke Varsity Baseball Player

Trinity ’04

Share and discuss “Steroid allegations are accurate” on social media.