What's hot on the Playground

1. Revenge planned in song - A pissed-off narrator throws her philandering boyfriend into the state penintentiary on roots rock troubadour Kathleen Edwards’ “In State” from her new LP Back To Me. A prequel to her hit single “Six O’Clock News,” where a pregnant woman lamented the untimely demise of her fugitive lover, this song finds Edwards warbling her usual grit with added ferociousness, signaling yet another step for women’s lib—this time in perfect melody and realistic lyrical poetry.

2. Hip-hop truces - In the wake of 50 Cent and The Game’s decision to end their feud, The New York Times reported on Wednesday that Eminem has dropped his lawsuit against The Source. While The Game and 50 Cent may have brought peace to the G-Unit community, Eminem’s action indicates that the rest of his music rivals may soon be forgiven. After all, if Eminem and Moby could declare peace, then there’s no reason why we can’t all get along.

3. Pepsi Commercials - From the i-Tunes commercial where the song is “in” the Pepsi bottle to the “I am Spartacus” clip, Pepsi has found a way to revive an old product with memorable, funny commercials.

4. Musical comebacks - From the Backstreet Boys to Mariah Carey to Garbage, your favorite ‘90s artists are making a comeback. While Garbage’s “Why Do You Love Me?” is a melodic track that’s soon to be a hit, Mariah’s current hit, “It’s Like That” is a generic party song, that with its lack of vocals, is a poor venue for the artist. Backstreet’s return, meanwhile, signals the revival of one of the late ‘90s biggest acts. But while you’re screaming or laughing at the boys from the backstreets, those of us at recess, are more excited about Billy Idol’s rumored comeback, and we’ll be dancing with ourselves.

5. Breakfast at the ‘Dillo - Start your day off right, with a gentle hint of queso. And if you feel like spoiling yourself, because Lord knows you deserve it, spring for that guacamole—it’s going to be a good day.

Share and discuss “What's hot on the Playground” on social media.