Maron brings comedy to liberal radio

Air America. Kind of sounds like a revolutionary air filtration system that eliminates 98 percent of dust, dander and spores, but not so. In fact, it is a national radio network working to eliminate the conservative domination of the radio airwaves. Air America Radio, broadcasting since March 31, 2004, originally emerged, at least in part, to counter the Bush re-election machine.

Among those currently signed on are comedienne Janeane Garofalo, Public Enemy’s Chuck D and anchor Al Franken, occupying the noon to 3 p.m. time slot. There are 48 Air America affiliates right now, not counting XM Radio channel 167 and Sirius Stream 144. Air America can also be found streaming 24/7 at www.AirAmerica Radio.com. Of its 48 affliates, few broadcast all 17 hours of Air America’s weekday programming. Most carry only two or three of the seven weekday shows, instead they often opt for Jones Radio Networks’ syndicated hosts Stephanie Miller and Ed Schultz.

In the case of Chapel Hill station AM 1360 WCHL, Air America programming has been adopted in a painfully selective manner, carrying only Al Franken’s show in its entirety. The first hour of WCHL’s only other weekday Air American contribution, “The Majority Report,” is superseded by daily discussion of the Atlantic Coast Conference. Then again, any station that doesn't interrupt its regular programming Saturdays from noon to 1 p.m. for “Hints from Heloise” should probably be ashamed of itself.

Recently, recess spoke with Air America’s “Morning Sedition” co-host/stand-up comedian/sometime actor, Marc Maron about his show and the network on the whole. Marc calls his style of comedy “an acquired taste,” but he has garnered rave reviews for his performance at the U.S. Comedy Arts Festival as well as non-negative reviews from The New York Times and the Village Voice.

Maron says his show, which he hosts with radio veteran Mark Riley, allows him “to flow in and out of all things” ranging from the budding “Morning Sedition” book club to performances by former Soul Coughing front man and Marc Maron super-fan Mike Doughty. “Morning Sedition’s” most notable interviews have been with Bill Clinton, Howard Dean, Michael Stipe and Peter Bergen; one of the few Western journalists to have met terrorist Osama bin Laden. Guest hosts also keep the show fresh. Maron has worked with talents as varied as professional wrestler Mick Foley and former presidential candidate, the Reverend Al Sharpton.

When the conversation turned to ratings, Maron speculated that his listeners have been siphoned from Howard Stern, Don Imus and the show that serves as his program's namesake, “Morning Edition.” Air America claims to have a progressive perspective, but Maron insists that his listeners come from both sides of the political spectrum.

During the research for this story, an interesting tidbit came to light. “Morning Sedition's” timeslot, weekdays 6 a.m. until 9a.m., suggested that there is also a six o'clock in the morning. Some bold reporting confirmed these suspicions. Confronting Maron about this realization proved fruitful as he dutifully recounted his daily routine. Waking up Monday to Friday at 2:30 or 3 a.m., Maron gobbles up an ample serving of cereal accompanied by a soothing cup of tea, to fortify his radio timbre, and then catches the train to arrive at Air America's Park Avenue studios by 4 a.m.

Waiting for him at the studio are his staff of producers and writers who brief him on the day’s guests as he peruses the latest headlines so that he might poke fun at President Bush’s latest foibles and bemoan the day’s corporate scandals. Readers who are usually roused by the sun’s encroachment on their accommodations as Maron’s day is coming to an end, need not fret. “Morning Sedition” can be heard 9 a.m. to noon eastern time at 620KPOJ.com, and archived episodes can be retrieved anytime, and heard commercial-free at AirAmericaPlace.com

With some financial troubles and some corporate turnover behind it, Air America has found a home at stations owned by industry behemoths Clear Channel Communications and Infinity Broadcasting. It seems like Air America will be around for a long time to come, or at least as long as the conservative leadership remains on its current lofty pedestal. With more listeners, many of them young people, tuning in each day, it seems fitting to end with the following quote from “Majority Report” announcer Jon Benjamin: “The left just got a little bit louder.”

Share and discuss “Maron brings comedy to liberal radio” on social media.