Edwards to head UNC poverty center

Former Sen. John Edwards is coming back to North Carolina. Tar Heels will have the opportunity to be taught by the former vice presidential candidate, who will head the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill’s new Center on Poverty, Work and Opportunity.

Edwards will also hold a part-time faculty position for two years that will be funded by private gifts to the University. “I will work hands-on to explore creative approaches to the difficulties that families in poverty face every day,” Edwards said in a statement. “We will work tirelessly so that America’s bright light of opportunity shines on all of us.”

Edwards, a 1977 graduate of the UNC School of Law, announced Friday that he is going back to his alma mater Feb. 14. “He couldn't be happier,” said Kim Rubey, Edwards’ spokesperson.

Gene Nichol, dean and Burton Craige professor at the UNC School of Law, said he is also grateful that Edwards decided to return. “He is certainly one of the best lawyers in the United States and it’s exciting to have him on our campus,” he said. “He has done a great deal to focus the country on social issues.”

Nichol said the Center for Civil Rights at UNC also will benefit from Edwards’ presence since it looks at significant problems for the United States and attempts to get its arms around these problems.

“John is going to do a lot of different series of public lectures that will be open to everyone, and [conduct] guest teachings that will be exciting for students,” Nichol said. “The [Poverty Center] will bring people from around the country and the world to explore the social issues.”

The former senator from North Carolina was in Manchester, N.H., Saturday, where he announced the move at the New Hampshire Democratic Party’s Annual 100 Club Dinner.

“It may seem like an impossible goal to end poverty, but that’s what the skeptics said about all of our other great challenges,” Edwards said. “If we can put a man on the moon, conquer polio and put libraries of information on a chip, then we can end poverty for those who want to work for a better life.

Richard Williams, chair of the board of trustees at UNC, said he was glad Edwards chose UNC. “If he is able to [gather] intellectual capital and resources for the elimination of poverty or the challenges of poverty, it will place this campus as a forefront to alleviate social problems,” he said. Williams also noted that the trustees were nevertheless concerned about whether or not this was a political maneuver.

“We wanted to make absolutely clear that this is focused on poverty and is not a political opportunity for Edwards.” Williams continued. “That is the assurance we got from the administration.”

On his part, Edwards said he is waiting for his wife to recover from treatment for breast cancer, diagnosed last year, before deciding on what to do in 2008. “Poverty is not a political issue,” Rubey said, “and he is not thinking about politics right now. His first priorities are his wife and the center.”

Nichol mentioned that Edwards might, however, engage in politics outside campus while directing the new center, since Edwards only has a part-time appointment at UNC. “I’m sure that the rest of the time he’s going to do other things,” Nichol said.

Duke also considered offering Edwards a position. “After the elections he began talking to many officials from other universities, including Duke,” Rubey said. John Burness, Duke’s senior vice president for public affairs and government relations, confirmed that the administration had some discussions with staff members regarding Edwards.

“It never came to the point for an offer,” said Burness, who nevertheless hopes that Duke students can also take advantage of the opportunities the center may provide. “I hope our faculty and students can participate in the Poverty Center,” he added.

Share and discuss “Edwards to head UNC poverty center” on social media.