BSA forum explores recruiting, diversity

Black Student Alliance members discussed recent criticism voiced by various campus groups about the success of Duke's recruiting efforts in achieving a representative black student population at a general body meeting in the Mary Lou Williams Center Tuesday night.

Black Student Alliance members discussed recent criticisms voiced by various campus groups about the success of Duke’s recruiting efforts in achieving a representative black student population at a general body meeting in the Mary Lou Williams Center Tuesday night.

The discussion began by questioning what factors have shaped Duke’s current black student community, which some BSA members claim does not represent national socio-economic and ethnic demographics. The group then went on to address whether the non-representative black student population has been a factor in the black community’s lack of involvement in activities facilitated for and by black students. BSA leaders selected the topic to open the discussion of what direction the future black community at the University will likely take.

The forum-like discussion suggested a recent influx of “privileged” black students—wealthy, private high-school alumni—and students of Afro-Caribbean and African heritage have led to a lack of participation in the University’s black community. Students in attendance generally concurred that most Afro-Caribbean and African students who enroll at Duke come from a more elevated socio-economic background than native African-American students.

Students responded with nods of agreement as senior Jason Hendrickson speculated that the University’s position as a growing institution for higher learning has led to a major decrease in Duke recruiters’ emphasis on targeting lower-income students.

Although most students focused on the possibility of the University’s disproportionate recruitment practices as the main cause for the emerging face of Duke’s black student community, a few members blamed indirect factors, such as the impracticality of recruiting at inner-city schools where the pursuit of academia is not always a priority among students.

“They’re not just looking for black faces, they’re looking for the best,” Hendrickson said. “Let’s face it, most inner-city students just don’t offer what the University wants.”

Senior Glenda Richardson recalled a high school experience with Duke: “They wanted me at my private school, but when I transferred [to a public school] I never saw a Duke recruiter again.”

The discussion went on to evaluate what course of action should be taken by BSA and black students who wish to create a black student community at Duke more representative of the national community.

Suggestions ranged from improving black recruitment through increased student visits to their high schools to extending the focus of the University’s African American Mentoring Program beyond academics to include social activities as well. In addition, some members suggested that seniors take an active role in leading by example.

Although most attendees laughed at the inefficiency of AAMP in helping black students adjust in past years, freshman Andrew George said the program was essential to his smooth transition to college life. “I’m sure that with a little improvement, all students [involved with AAMP] could be as lucky as I was,” he said.

The African American Collegiate Unity Coalition has organized a forum to take place tonight from 6 to 8 p.m. in Von Canon Meeting Room C to further address disparities of socio-economic status within the black student community.

Share and discuss “BSA forum explores recruiting, diversity” on social media.