Subs lift Duke to 3 dual wins

Duke used its depth to secure three team victories Saturday at the Delaware State Duals.

Four Blue Devils replaced usual starters partly because of a flu bug that has swept through the team, as Duke (5-2) won a tough match against York College, 23-13, and then rolled through James Madison and Delaware State, winning 34-3 and 36-5, respectively.

“They responded well even though some guys were sick. The greatest concern is that we’re back and healthy by Tuesday,” head coach Clar Anderson said of the team’s upcoming match with North Carolina.

Junior Scott Doerr stepped in for sick co-captain Frank Cornely in the 184-pound weight class and won both of his matches. Freshman Konrad Dudziak replaced injured junior Mark Thompson and secured two pins in the 197-pound class. Junior Daniel Shvartsman went 2-1 as a substitute in the 141-pound weight class, and junior Philip Wightman stepped up one weight class and won his only match at 157.

“This definitely builds the realization that even if you’re not starting, you need to be ready to go in and compete,” Anderson said.

The Blue Devils have dealt with injuries all year and are accustomed to relying on their second-string wrestlers. Freshman Kellan McKeon gave up his redshirt to replace injured sophomore Christian Smith, who won the ACC Tournament last year at 125. Anderson said McKeon is starting to overcome his initial struggles, as the freshman won all three of his matches in the 125-pound weight class Saturday.

“His weight class is going to be crucial for us in the ACC competition, so hopefully this weekend will give him some confidence,” Anderson said.

Duke has an important ACC match against North Carolina Tuesday in Cameron Indoor Stadium. The Tar Heels (3-5, 2-1 in the ACC) are coming off a loss to Navy Saturday, and the Blue Devils said that the dual is a good opportunity to improve their 1-1 conference mark.

“This weekend prepared us for Carolina,” McKeon said. “If we go in there with a lot of confidence and really wrestle hard, we can get the win.”

Share and discuss “Subs lift Duke to 3 dual wins” on social media.