Crime briefs

Joggers spot Duke Forest thief-in-act

Several joggers returned to their Nissan truck parked in the Duke Forest area Monday at 4 p.m. to find a man had smashed a window of the auto. When the suspect saw the joggers he panicked, ran to his vehicle and sped away. A wallet containing bank cards and identification as well as 20 compact discs, valued at $300, were missing from the vehicle.

Student cited for drunk driving

Senior Daniel Peake, 22, was cited Jan. 18 for driving while impaired and careless and reckless driving on Flowers Drive. Peake lost control of a 1995 Mercedes at 2:55 p.m. when he hit a curb, crossed the road and struck a tree near the Allen Building parking lot. Duke EMS paramedics responded to the scene and told police they smelled alcohol on Peake’s breath, according to a police report. Peake was not seriously injured in the crash and the results of a blood-alcohol test performed in the emergency room at Duke University Medical Center are pending. Peake said he was protesting the DWI charge and that he had not been drinking at the time of the accident.

Bike-riding thief steals chem text

A man wearing a beige and black winter jacket stole a rare book Jan. 18 from the Chemistry Library. At 7:25 p.m., the man entered the library and asked to check out the McMurray sixth edition of Organic Chemistry. Saying he only needed the book for 10 minutes, the suspect did not sign it out. Roughly 20 minutes later he stood up and ran through the library theft detection device, triggering the alarm, and fled on a bicycle. The book is valued at $100.

Valuables taken from Volvo

A student’s wallet and cell phone were stolen Wednesday from the front seat of an unlocked 1985 Volvo. The student left his belongings in a friend’s vehicle and went inside Gilbert Addoms residence hall at 7 a.m. to post fliers. When they returned an hour later, the wallet and phone were missing.

Car protection missing

A student reported Wednesday that his $200 Scion car cover vanished from the Blue Zone parking lot Jan. 14.

Tent breaking-and-entering

A student reported someone went into his tent in Krzyzewskiville between 4 p.m. Wednesday and 12:54 p.m. Thursday and stole his backpack. The backpack was later recovered but its contents—including an iPod, headphones, hat and gloves—were missing. The iPod’s serial number is SJQ43201BRFF.

Another Honda falls victim

A student returned to her Honda Civic Thursday night to find her car window pried open and her stereo, cell phone and diamond and sapphire necklace stolen. The student left the vehicle in the Rt. 751 parking lot near Erwin Road at 4:50 p.m. to jog.

Women’s Center sign stolen

A wooden sign in front of the Women’s Center was taken sometime over the winter break. The sign, valued at $100, was last seen in front of the building Dec. 23. It was reported missing Thursday.

Armadillo Grill faces thefts

In two separate incidents last week, $1,010 was stolen from the the Armadillo Grill in the Bryan Center. Someone stole $765 from an unlocked safe between 1:20 a.m. and 10:13 a.m. Thursday. Then on Friday a grill manager discovered $245 missing from drawers and an open safe when he arrived for work at 9 a.m.

Walker walks off

Someone reported their Rollator Walker missing Thursday. The walker, valued at $400, was left in front of the West Duke Building Jan. 13.

Share and discuss “Crime briefs” on social media.