Campus building presses ahead

Hard hats and caution signs seem to have become more prevalent on campus than text books.

Although students and faculty may complain of inconveniences with accessibility due to the numerous construction projects, members of the Duke community from all years and academic interests can soon expect to take advantage of from these expansions.

A new dormitory on East Campus, the French Science Center, the Nasher Museum of Art, additions to Perkins Library, the Divinity School and the Sanford Institute for Public Policy and renovations to the School of Law are all part of current architectural developments, which are all progressing on schedule, officials said.

In addition, workers constructed over winter break a tunnel to house utility lines between Flowers Drive—at the level of the Allen lot—and Wannamaker Drive. Although plans are uncertain, the tunnel may eventually be used as a pedestrian walkway.

While this list may appear overwhelming, John Pearce, University architect, said it is an average year for construction. “In other years, there have been more projects, but they were less visible,” he said. “This year they are in and around areas students [can see].”

Former President Nan Keohane initiated plans for these current projects. During her tenure, she oversaw the most construction since the campus was originally built. President Richard Brodhead has shown interest in Keohane’s developments and officials said the change in administration has not affected construction.

The recent completion of the $107 million Fitzpatrick Center for Interdisciplinary Engineering, Medicine and Applied Sciences did not conclude the expansion on Science Drive. The construction of the French Science Center, a 293,000-square-foot center—housing particularly the chemistry and biology department—is due to be completed by the summer of 2006. The center will feature state-of-the-art research laboratories with modern safety features and new greenhouses.

Philip Benfey, chair of the biology department, explained that in order to reduce inconveniences, workers have been asked to “alert people when they are expected to be noisy.”

The recent decision to increase the Pratt School of Engineering’s enrollment has also necessitated the construction of a new residence hall on East Campus—a $20 million project that is scheduled to be completed by Fall 2005. While most students are understanding, others closer to the construction complain of excessive noise.

“I know some people it really bothers,” said freshman and Southgate resident Kate Gonsiewski. “I sleep through everything so it doesn't really bother me—although sometimes when I’m studying it does.”

Students have also had trouble finding quiet in the library due to the Perkins Library expansion. “Although overall people have been pretty tolerant, staff and students would prefer it to be quieter,” said Aubrey Jackson, building manager for Perkins Library.

Pearce said the library plans ensured most of the noisy work would occur over the summer.

“By and large, considering the scope of the project, [noise and disturbances] have been kept to a minimum,” Pearce said. “Librarians have been very understanding and cooperative. They are looking forward to their new project.”

Plans to expand Perkins allow for continual use of the library. Next year, however, the first floor will be closed for renovations and entry into the library will need to be through the new connector—due to be finished in August.

Other projects, like the Divinity School, focus on renovation and expansion rather than construction of a separate building.

As opposed to the modern buildings of CIEMAS and FSC, the 45,000-square-foot addition to the Divinity School is being built to directly imitate Main West’s Gothic style and should be completed within the next few months, said Jim Becker, executive vice president of Skanska—the Boston based construction firm responsible for CIEMAS, FSC and the Divinity School.

The Nasher Museum of Art—located on the corner of Campus Drive and Anderson Street—is progressing on schedule and is expected to open to the public Oct. 1, 2005. A new building to house the Sanford Institute for Public Policy is also under construction.

Share and discuss “Campus building presses ahead” on social media.